Promethazine

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Promethazine

Postby lcastillo22 » Jul 31, 2004 9:31 pm

:D Hi I just found this site today and I am so glad I am not alone!

I have been taking Promethazine suppositories for about 2 weeks now after dehydration and vomiting landed me in the ER twice. Is there anyone else taking these and do you know if they are safe for baby?

Thanks,
Liane
lcastillo22

Postby caleighbelle47 » Jul 31, 2004 11:18 pm

I've been taking Promethazine orally since I was 9 weeks pregnant and I'm now 26 weeks along and still taking it. I'm not too sure about the risks involved, my doctor has never said anything about the risks, so I'm guessing that it's not too risky. I know lots of other women have taken it. I personally found the side effects quite bothersome in the begining, it made me feel very loopy and anxious, but it was the only drug that my insurance would cover and it started working a lot better later in my pregnancy. I also found the side effects to be MUCH worse when I received in an IV. I know that any risks involved are worth it for me because without it I become very dehydrated which isn't safe when pregnant. Hope it works well for you and that you start feeling better soon.

Angela
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby danimomof2girls » Aug 02, 2004 12:59 pm

I believe that promethazine is phenergan. There are no related health risks that I know of to your baby. I took phenergan with both of my pregnancies and my daughters have been very healthy. I think that it is also a type of anti-histamine which has unknown results improving vertigo, nausea and vomitting. Promethazine hydrochloride is Phenergan. The only side effects that I noticed were drowsiness and possibly some dry mouth (but who knew if that was from puking or the meds:) I think that the only risks that could be present are like most medications when you are in early pregnancy. I would ask your doctor or pharmacist if you're worried. Hope this helps :D
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Postby carriedodson » Aug 02, 2004 9:27 pm

Liane,

I also took phenergren with pg 1. The only problem I see with them is they didn't do much for me. You get resistant to them. Could you get on zofran? Phenergren is great if you need to be sedated but it doesn't do much to manage HG long term in my opinion unless you enjoy the feeling of being in a semi coma state long term. hee hee At any rate, I hope you are feeling better and ask dr. about zofran you won't feel nearly as tired or weird! Your face might tingle a bit, as mine does. :lol:
Hugs,
Carrie
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies