Any one taking Pepcid in IV?

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Any one taking Pepcid in IV?

Postby mom2matt » Jul 08, 2004 10:49 pm

I had a reaction to the reglan and my dr now has me on Pepcid IV, My dh buts it in my morning cocktail of my TPN bag, so I dont have to actuallty 'take' it...I havnt seen many posts on this, its working like I cant believe, the nausea is actualy **better, i think, but than again, your talking to some one who forgot her middle name last week...lol...

has anyone taken pepcid IV?? Im getting 2 ml one time a day.
For kNOW its working, my breath just reeks of chaulk like Ive been licking a blackboard all day...eeewww..dh says he can smell it, nice..lol

Good wishes to you all this week, to get to your 12 weeks marks, and find somthing that will stay down~~~~~~~~!

Shlby
mom2matt

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 09, 2004 3:08 pm

I know other HGers have taken acid reducing meds in their IVs and really liked that option. I'm a really foggy on exactly which ones they have taken, though. :)

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby mel » Aug 09, 2004 5:15 pm

I'm also receiving 2ml of pepcid in my TPN. I just got out of the hospital and had been on pepcid and phenergan while in the hospital. I'm still taking the phenergan now every 6 hours.

Do you have a picc line for your TPN?

Mel
happily married, 1st pg
mel

Postby mom2matt » Aug 10, 2004 12:37 am

Yes, I have a PICC running the length of my upper arm to the central vena' cava'..or so they say..lol..its a central line..Im now taking 40 ml pepcid per day. 20 in my TPN and 10 x2 per day off the TPN. That seems to be working, the more I take the more I can seem to want to eat..go figure..

PS. I have gained 5 lbs in the past 3 weeks!!!

Shlby
mom2matt

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 10, 2004 1:38 pm

I just called my home health pharmacist and asked her if I could split up my 40mg pepcid rather than put it all in the 12 hour TPN, but she said pharmacologically it shouldn't be a help and it is a very unusual way of dosing the medicine.

Any thoughts on that? Anyone else notice a significant difference when they split up the dosage?
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 10, 2004 6:44 pm

I don't know what the best way of doing it would be, but I know doing all the pepcid over 12 hours would not have worked for me. I put my pepcid (40mgs, and eventually up to 60mgs) in my TPN which ran continuously. If my TPN was off for even an hour, or if we were still waiting for a pepcid delivery for the new bag, I would feel the reflux raging back. I know it wasn't just my imagination because most of the time I didn't even think about it until I started feeling bad. One time we were trying to see if I could do with less TPN and all we did was change the rate so that I would get 2000cc rather than 2400 in a day, within 3 hours I was begging to change the pump back. It amazes me that such a small change in the dose made such a huge difference but it did.
If you are going to keep the TPN at 12 hours and you notice that the pepcid wears off during your 3 hours off it seems reasonable to try 2 split doses. You might be able to do 1/2 in the TPN and then the other 1/2 in a piggy back after you finish the TPN if that seems easier.
When you give pecpid in split doses you give it every 12 hours so I don't really understand why the pharmacist thought that was weird. For me, the pepcid never even lasted the full 12 hours, we would try to give it that way at times when I was on too many other drugs running through the same line, but the burning switch would turn on well before the next dose was due, and that was on the same, or higher dose.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby mom2matt » Aug 10, 2004 9:53 pm

I'm adamint' about taking and doing what works..someone on this board, and other 'medical boards' have said "the nature of this disease has so many variables" there is no rhyme or reason, due to the numberous factors, IE: gestitational age, mothers sensivity, other medications.

I was told by my Dr. the pepcid will not harm the baby, and I asked what dosage he would allow, he said the 40m, during the day, and then the 20m thru the TPN were fine. The reality, I was given a chance to try somthing, somthing safe, it worked..everyone should be given every opportunity to get help with HG. Every hour spent feeling better, makes a WORLD if differance.

I hope wether its pepcid, TPN, reglan, whatever it is, if its not- working, that you continue searching. I cant tell you how lucky, and thankful I'm that I'm able to face each day with more hope at getting thru this.

~shlby
mom2matt

Return to First Trimester HG