Questions re: SQ pump and/or Zofran

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Questions re: SQ pump and/or Zofran

Postby Beth » Aug 13, 2004 7:15 am

Hi, I just found this site yesterday and thanks in advance to all who are reading this. I'm 17 weeks, have had pretty bad nausea, lost (losing) weight, and really incapacitated--exhausted, not sleeping, etc. Enough--everyone's been there, I'm sure...

My dr has had me on Tigan, first oral, now suppositories for past few days. It doesn't seem to be working, the only way I seem to be able to stop the vomiting is by just not eating, but the nausea still comes and goes and then I have zero ability even to get up from a chair, much less get anything done. Suppositories actually seem to help less than when I was taking orally? Not sure why that would be...

Finally, my question(s): Dr wants to talk about some sort of sub-q pump on Tuesday. Does it hurt? Is this really the next step or should I be trying other meds first? Only other thing I've been doing is B6/Unisom, with some partial success. How often does the needle get changed? Will I be housebound? Does a nurse come to do whatever needs to be done? It just seems like overkill for something that will hopefully be gone within the next several weeks anyway. I haven't even been hospitalized once or given fluids, not sure if it's me overreacting and jumping to conclusions about hg or dr not paying enough attention. I've been reading this forum and if the med is Zofran, it seems to cause constipation. Because of back condition, I'm already on pain meds that cause that, hoping that it won't make it worse. Does everyone seem to have trouble with that?

Sorry so many questions and not making sense, I'm sure. Thanks for any feedback or experience!
Beth
Beth

I was on Zofran pump with last pg...

Postby SickGirl » Aug 13, 2004 7:48 pm

I'm probably not the best to answer your questions, but since I was on the Zofran pump for several months during my last pg, I thought I'd try. Well... a nurse initially came out to get my pump started and taught me and my dh how to change it out. So after that, you will have to do it yourself. For me, sometimes it hurt putting the needle in and sometimes it didn't. The worse part was after being on it for so long, both of my legs were very bruised up and I was running out of places to put it the next time. It may have just affected me differently than some people though. No, you won't be housebound with the pump. You can fit it in your pocket and be on your way. Personally, I would try other meds first... that's what I'm currently doing with my 2nd pg (I'm 8 wks now). I just hated that pump, but I will use it if I need to. I would suggest trying Zofran pills first if you haven't already, but make sure you start some type of stool softener with it to keep from ever getting constipated to badly. I know different meds affect people differently, but Tigan didn't work for me. Zofran seems to work best.... I think I've tried everything else except steroids and that's just because I'm under 10 wks. So that's another thing you can try... the steroids, but I'd try Zofran first.

Let us know what you decide to do. Best of luck to you!
SickGirl

Thanks for the feedback

Postby Beth » Aug 13, 2004 8:51 pm

Hi, and congrats on the pregnancy! I'm sorry to hear that you're sick so early on, I wasn't too bad early on, think I was pretty ok up to week 10 or so.

I just got home from the hospital a little while ago, my first experience with getting rehydrated. My ketones had gone to the highest level my ketostix registers, couldn't think, really shaky and vision fading in and out. Really scary, but I feel much better now. Got 2 or maybe 3 bags of fluids and some IV Reglan. I noticed after the Reglan went in that I felt kind of anxious, don't know if it was just the nausea letting up and thinking of everything I need to do or if it was the drug, but hoping the pump doesn't make me feel like that!

Geez, every post I've found about the pump talks about how painful it is and how your muscles are wasted. I'm hoping that a) it isn't too painful for me to use successfully and b) that I don't need it too long. I was actually having some good days before this week, so I'm hoping...

Glad that I decided not to be admitted tonight, it will give me the weekend to try out the Zofran. Dr didn't seem too hopeful, but it looks like everyone reacts differently to each med, so who knows? it may do the trick. The baby seems fine, strong heartbeat and I had an amnio and ultrasound last week and everything was fine then too. It's amazing that the fetus isn't affected when we feel so awful!

I'm hoping that you'll hit on the right combination of meds and anything else that helps before you get too sick, and that you're feeling better soon. Then again, it drives me crazy when everyone asks "are you better yet?", so I'll take that back and just say that I'll be thinking of you. Thanks again!
Beth

Postby MamaLily » Aug 13, 2004 11:21 pm

Beth -

I have not had the pump, but I was on Zofran, Phenergan, Reglan, Unisom/B6, steroids, etc. You name it! I really think that you ought to give the Zofran a good try...it is one of the most common meds to treat HG. There is a wonderful Sticky about Unisom/B6, Zofran, and other treatment options in the 1st Trimester Forum. It may help in your decisions. If you do take Zofran, remember that you need to stay hydrated in order for it to work properly. And many women need a combination of meds to fight the HG. Zofran is often paired with Unisom/B6, Reglan, Meclizine, etc. Finding the right combo for you can help so much! So it's worth trying some of these options. If weight loss is still a problem, your doctor could try steroids. Of all the meds that I tried, steroids definitely made more of a difference than anything else.

Keep hanging in there!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby carriedodson » Aug 14, 2004 7:36 am

Beth,
:P
I am so sorry to hear of all this. I wish you the very best and hope you get some releif. I had a sub q reglan pump from 6 wks to 6 months. I hated it. I don't think it helped at all. Maybe a zofran pump would have been the better choice. It didn't hurt when it was in the fatty part of your upper thighs correctly. I will tell you it sucked not to be able to shower normally unless I took it out. I wrapped my leg in saran wrap and had to put the pump in a little bag. I could feel the effects immediately when it was out. :oops: After weaning off after several attempts, I had limited sensation in my upper thighs. A neurologist determined that after pricking my legs some 90 times I had nerve damage. I am now feeling things in my thighs 15 months after delivery. I do think, that at that point in my first pg and not knowing I could take zofran preventively the pump was the only choice. I am know 10 wks pg with my second and have
taken zofran from 4.5 wks, it has made the difference. I told myself I would never have that stupid pump again. But if I had to I would. You have to do what you can. Try it and see if it gives some results. If you have any weird side effects, call your doctor. Let me know what happens.
Hugs,
Carrie :lol:

Here is the logisitcal info you asked about-
you won't be housebound. you can stick the pump in your pocket or elastic waist band. i wore overalls for months on that stupid pump.
you change the site every other day. a nurse only comes out if you need fluids or having a problem with your site. Your meds and supplies are delivered to your doorstep. I had mine through matria and found they were great help. Good luck!
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Postby Joci6 » Aug 14, 2004 8:41 am

Carriedodson-

I see you have been on zofran since 4.5 weeks. Did your nausea start then or did you start it as a preventative measure? The reason I'm asking is b/c I have a script filled for zofran and wondering if I should wait until nausea starts to begin it. I am 5w1d. So far so good. How are you feeling and what else are you taking?

Sandra
Joci6
Welcomed Friend

Postby carriedodson » Aug 14, 2004 1:42 pm

Hey Sandra,
Congrats to you! I started feeling nauseated literally days after conception, that is how I knew I must be pg. I had a postitive test several days before expected period- weird. I started taking zofran because I felt like I needed it. I would take it if your history shows it started at 5 wks. Oh, I hope that you have an easy time of it. Sandra, the zofran taken every 8 hours is the only reason I haven't been in the hospital this time. With last pg I was in at 6 wks for 5 days and had the reglan pump from then on. I stayed sick and could not drink or eat and had multiple ER episodes.

Since then, I have realized that zofran works best as a preventitive, with #1 I waited till I was too sick and then it didn't work. I would get your RX filled and then take it as soon as you need it. You might want to try 4 mg tablets first 3 times a day and then progress to 8 mg if that isn't working. I am glad you are feeling good. Great talking to you!
Carrie

p.s. zofran is the only thing I am taking, plus folic acid 800 mcg no prentals yuck! :roll:
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 14, 2004 2:02 pm

The pump isn't so bad, it's the zofran. Zofran is a skin and muscle irritant and it stings and burns when injected in your leg. I had enormous painful welts from the zofran pump last pregnancy.

IV zofran delivered through a PICC line is SO MUCH NICER!

I just wish zofran was helping me as much as it helps others.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 14, 2004 2:59 pm

I also had mixed feelings about the pump.

The biggest advantage is that you don't have to take pills if you can't keep them down, or taste what I have heard are nasty tasting ODT. The other benefit is that you are on a continuous dose of the medication which should help (although I never noticed much of a difference there). I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't try pills first if you think they would stay down.

The biggest disadvantages that I saw were having to stick yourself - my first pg it didn't hurt, just had a mental block, but the second time I was thinner and my legs were scarred from the first and it just hurt. With the older kinds of pumps, you have to change the syringe every 4 hours which isn't fun in the middle of the night. Zofran is much more irritating than reglan and you have to change the site more often.

Wearing the pump was easy, I was working at a pretty hectic job and really didn't notice it. The only problem was trying to keep my pants up with my pager, cell phone and zofran pump all on the waistband of pants that were by then 2 sizes too big. I never wrapped my leg showering and so I really didn't bother me much there either.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Joci6 » Aug 14, 2004 7:32 pm

Carrie -

Thanks for the info - I'm glad you are doing better this time. I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing

Sandra
Joci6
Welcomed Friend

Re: Thanks for the feedback

Postby RebeccaM » Aug 15, 2004 3:51 pm

Beth wrote: I noticed after the Reglan went in that I felt kind of anxious, don't know if it was just the nausea letting up and thinking of everything I need to do or if it was the drug, but hoping the pump doesn't make me feel like that!

Beth,

Just and FYI- Reglan has been known to cause reactions like that (jumpiness, anxiety), just so you know your not crazy. :)
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies