Has anyone heard of this cause of HG?

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Has anyone heard of this cause of HG?

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 08, 2004 11:28 am

I read summaries of a study done in Austria (1998) which found that more than 90% of the women with HG that they studied had the same bacteria in their stomach that has been linked to ulcers (H. pylori).

Anyone know any more about this? Were there follow up studies? Anyone been put on antibiotics and improve?
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby nomore » Aug 08, 2004 5:51 pm

Hi there,

Yes, I have heard of H Pylori. There is some other info on this somewhere on these boards (just not exactly sure where!).

I will tell you this. Several of us have been tested and the results have come back negative. I personally was tested by a blood test and then again just a couple of months ago they did a biopsy when I had an endoscopy done. Both were negative and my HG was pretty severe (lasting until delivery).

I wish there were more answers...

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby mom2matt » Aug 08, 2004 8:07 pm

Im gonna just take a guess here, I did read up on this a little..I'm under the impression that once your in the cycle of HG, having an empty stomach can lead to a host of problems, allowing bacteria of all types to get a foot hold, not to mention stomach ulcers from to much stagnant acid, and no food to dilute it...

It is strange that some things work for some HGrs and not others, like compazine...did nothing..nothing..and yet 'fixed' things overnight for someone else, and the unisom...I read it had no 'sleep' effect on HG sufferers, but helps with the nausea..

Strange beast we are fighting, maybe some day, some day VERY soon, we can tell our daughters we know how to fix it, and tell our daughter in-laws how bad OUR pregnancies were!!

Shlby
mom2matt

Postby MamaLily » Aug 09, 2004 4:22 pm

There was recently a discussion about this under "Preparation for HG." I know that Andy has done some research about H.Pylori...we'll have to get her opinion!
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 11, 2004 12:19 pm

From what I have found, yes, there seems to be a corollation between Helicobactor Pylori and HG, but the overwhelming evidence is all foreign, and mostly in 2nd and 3rd world countries. There have been some studies showing HGers in the hospital test positive for H. Pylori, and treated with Eyrethromicin (sp?) (an antibiotic) and then having their HG symptoms relieved with the successful treatment of their H.Pylori infection. The articles are very interesting to read.

I have heard it recommended that all HGers be tested for H. Pylori, and I've known a great number who have been tested. The large majority of them test negative for H. Pylori! The few who have tested positive have not actually then had another child, and after their pg when they found out they had tested positive; too late to treat it successfully to see if it made a difference in their HG.

According to Motherisk, there are some things about H. Pylori that is not
clearly understood, being a relatively new disease that is being studied.
It is unclear if H. Pylori is a bug that is caught, treatable, and thus
eradicated, or if H. Pylori is something that is found in many people and is
actually either latent, or active, and never really truly gone at all.
There is some thought that even if a woman w/ a history of HG is tested for H. Pylori prior to conceiving, and test negative that she be tested AGAIN after conceiving because the changes throughout the body when a woman becomes pg could awaken a latent H. Pylori infection.

Blood tests for H. Pylori indicate if someone has had an active infection in
the previous 5 years (even if they do not now have an active infeciton), and treatment for H. Pylori is usually a round of several strong antibiotics.
After which the patient must be retested by some other means than a blood draw because the blood will still test active. There is a breath test that is available and the test can also be performed on fecal material both of which tell if there is a CURRENT H. Pylori infection.

H. Pylori is actually what got me interested in HG after having two HG pgs
of my own, activated me to be involved in helping other HGers, and so I've done some research on it. I really wish I had more concrete information, but I'm not even sure that the Gastroenterologists have it all figured out yet. I don't really have time any more just to research.

I was archiving old messages from the old HER forums
recently, and someone mentioned a natural way to fight H. Pylori. I have no idea where the info originated, but it is probably worth researching to find out. Here's the exact post:

Blessings all,
Just FYI-- in western medicine the standard protocol for treatment of h.
pylori is heavy duty antibiotics. But there is a MUCH better and safer way
to treat it--- Mastic Gum. H. Pylori is a spirochete--- spiral shaped bacteria. It can withstand the very hostile environment of the stomach and burrows itself into the mucosal lining of the stomach where it then thrives. Most antibiotics are formulated to withstand the stomach,t oo and are assimilated into the bodysystem once in the small intestine. Therefore, lots of antibiotics are tried and very few actually work against h. pylori. Mastic Gum is a tree resin from a medeteranian shrub. The best way to buy it is from a greek foods/med foods store in it whole and natural form. You just chew about 1gram a day-- it chews like gum and has a great flavor. (piney!) then swallow it down. Do a six week long course and then do a breath test for h.pylori. I did a 6 week course of mastic gum before my last pregnancy and I didn't experience a miracle. But I don't really think I had h.pylori anyway.
Blessings,
April

I wouldn't bother trying to treat for H. Pylori if you don't know if you
have it. Not all HGers by any means have an H. Pylori infection. I've read that if you do have an infection and cannot tolerate the treatment, fighting the HG seems to be the best way to keep H. Pylori from flourishing.

I really want to look into this mastic gum thing, so I think I'll post it in research and see if someone might be willing to look some info up on it.

Andy
Last edited by Ivydragon on Aug 12, 2004 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby MamaLily » Aug 11, 2004 1:43 pm

Andy -

I just wanted to mention that the breath test for H.Pylori does not involve any radiation. It would be 100% safe for any pregnant woman. (You probably remember that I took the HP breath test earlier this year, when we wanted to ttc.) To take the breath test, you fast for a few hours, walk into the radiology dept, drink some water, breathe into a couple of balloons, and then leave. Later in the day, one of the radiologists looks at the results through some kind of microscope that can detect the presence of H.Pylori. It was a VERY easy test!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 11, 2004 4:05 pm

Sounds like an easy test - well, except drinking the water. LOL
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 12, 2004 9:37 am

Thanks, fixed that. :)

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby mom2matt » Aug 14, 2004 12:16 pm

Amazing info!. I will be seeing my dr. this week and get tested. Thank you so much for sheding light.

Shlby
mom2matt

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 15, 2004 9:35 am

That's why I'm here! :) Let us know the results.

Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Natalie » Aug 15, 2004 5:03 pm

Hi One and All
Do you happen to know if us UK HGers can get this test on the good old NHS?
Thanks
Natalie
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Return to First Trimester HG