does zofran lose its effectiveness

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

does zofran lose its effectiveness

Postby mostafit » Aug 17, 2004 6:43 pm

HI folks

I am 12 weeks, in my first pregnancy. I have been struggling with HG since week 5 1/2. I started taking Zofran in my 8th week, it worked quite well for about 2 weeks, but seems to be losing its effectiveness. I've also tried Unisom/B6 and Phenergan, and all of the typical home remedies, with absolutely no effect .

Has anyone run into a similar situation, with Zofran working less well over time? What have you done in this situation? Of course I am hoping that the nausea/vomitting will natuarally lessen soon, but am nervous, as my mother had it the whole 9 months....ugh... :(

Mostafit
mostafit

Postby mammaclare » Aug 18, 2004 11:36 am

A couple of things...

First, you are in the peak of HG for many women, so it could simply be that.

Second, Zofran works best if you are well hydrated, so perhaps some mild dehdration could be going on?

Third, the maximum dose of Zofran is 32 mgs a day (3 of the 8 mg tabs or 6 of the 4 mg tabs), however our experience here is that many times docs don't give you enough to really cut it.

I would consider your dose, and make sure you are on enough, make sure you are hydrated and if not, then there are other things you can ask to try--steroids are a possibility as you are past 10 weeks, reglan, compazine, vistaril...

Congratulations on your pregnancy--I am sorry you have to suffer. Please keep coming here to post your questions and feelings and experiences.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

it can but...

Postby lttlchristian » Aug 18, 2004 11:38 am

I am so sorry your going through this !!! From what I was told you can build up a tolerance to it, but it takes a long time. I have been on Zofran since about 9 weeks and I am now 32 and still taking it, and it still works. I did have a period where it didn't but that was more of the HG getting really bad, so don't give up on it !!! Hang in there and I hope it starts working again soon!!! Good Luck

lttlchristian due 10-12-04 (hopefully sooner)
lttlchristian

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 18, 2004 11:59 am

Third, the maximum dose of Zofran is 32 mgs a day (3 of the 8 mg tabs or 6 of the 4 mg tabs)

Wouldn't that be 4 of 8mg tabs or 8 of the 4 mg tabs?
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby mammaclare » Aug 18, 2004 9:39 pm

Yep--sorry about the bad math! I was thinking of the max that I personally was on, which was 24 a day.

So, it REALLY is 32mgs a day max (34mgs a day in teh pump).
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

zofran

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 18, 2004 9:42 pm

Initially, I didn't take enough Zofran, so it didn't work. When I finally went around the clock, getting up every 4 hours, it did work. BUT it only worked for a couple days...maybe the dehydration beat it, I don't know. But I too felt it would lose effectiveness after a few days....
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 18, 2004 10:18 pm

mamma2be wrote:Yep--sorry about the bad math! I was thinking of the max that I personally was on, which was 24 a day.

So, it REALLY is 32mgs a day max (34mgs a day in teh pump).

LOL. I did the same thing when I first got on these forums. I told someone I was on 32mg and I'm really only on 24.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

working better again

Postby mostafit » Aug 27, 2004 12:12 pm

Thanks for everyones replies. I think you are right, that week 12 really is a peak. I really worked on the hydration, and it seemed to help the Zofran. I am now just starting week 14 and I actually think things *may* be lessening somewhat. Yesterday I got a little overeager and skipped a dose, but ended up with my head in the bucket for a few hours... I am still vomitting 2-3 times a day with the Zofran, but as I said, I think I am feeling a little better. My doc said that hcg levels start dropping about week 12-13, which corresponds to most women doing better....so I am keeping my fingers crossed!!
mostafit

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies