So glad I found this place !

A place where partners, fathers, friends, and family members can discuss experiences and difficulties regarding loved ones' Hyperemesis.

Moderator: cormander

So glad I found this place !

Postby mrsmom » Jun 13, 2008 9:09 pm

Hello,
I guess this is an introduction -- I'm not sure if this is the right spot, or where Family can post ? Should it just be moms in the main sections ?

My daughter is pregnant ( 6 weeks ) and has been having just awful vomiting and retching, started out quesy a couple weeks ago and has progressed horribly. We (her husband and I) took her to the ER last night because she had been practiaclly non-stop wretching for over a day.

The ER staff was less than helpful. They did put her on an IV, took ultrasounds, blood tests etc. to confirm the pregnancy and placement. They were mostly rude and abrasive. She is very young, and they were just awful. Lots of accusatory questions. Dismissive, conflicting advice. And never, not once, did they give her any form of medication - or even suggest your more mild home remedies. Their entire attitude after the testing - was "yep, go home, you're vomiting - get used to it" ! As she was crying and heaving dark green bile ! Did not even suggest that there is anything more serious that exists than plain old "morning sickness" ! They did however manage to make it sound like she was somehow horrible for 1) having a medical marijuana perscription for her severe anxiety and bipolar disorder and 2) not having had an ob appointment yet - even though she first tested about a week and a half ago !
Arrrghh -- as you can tell I'm a little irate. That mama tiger thing.

So I googled today - she is still miserable of course - and found this site - I even found a possible dr. in our area on your site - ! Seriously, I've been almost crying reading around. I was really, really ill with my pregnancies -- not quite as bad as she is - but awfully close. And just the memories of it !

Kind of long for an introduction, sorry. Just so relieved to find a place where I can maybe find some help for my little girl !
mrsmom

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 13, 2008 10:08 pm

Welcome! Sorry your daughter is suffering so and that you're reliving your own NVP, but you found a great source of information and support here. Many medical professionals dismiss morning sickness symptoms as harmless, and your daughter will not be taken seriously until she's repeatedly dehydrated, malnourished, and losing weight. Getting seen by a proactive doctor is the best case scenario, but even then you're going to have to keep careful track of symptoms and advocate for her care. She can start on B6/Unisom right now, but if she's already begun the vomiting cycle it probably won't do much more than take the edge off some nausea. A daily journal of weight, food and fluid intake, and vomiting will help her doctor assess her condition when she does get in for an appointment. Let us know how we can help!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby mrsmom » Jun 14, 2008 12:08 am

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.

One of the reasons I'm so worried about her is that she hasn't kept anything down at all in days - the only nourishment she has kept is the fluids from the iv they had her on for about 3 hours last night. She seems to have lost some weight, and she is a tiny, tiny girl in the first place.

I'm just not sure with the dehydrating / retching what to do -- the ER said not to come back "unless something dramatically changed" What would that be ? not throwing up non-stop ???? :roll:

When I was pregnant with her they almost hospitalized me due to the weight loss / dehydration, but didn't due to insurance coverage. Definite bad memories from that time.

Thank you for telling me about the b-6 /unisom combo - I'll get that right now - and try to get her through to an appointment.
mrsmom

Postby toi » Jun 14, 2008 1:52 am

First of all, your daughter is so blessed to have you! Is there another ER in your area? Does your daughter already have a gynecologist? Or do you have one? If it were me, I'd call their after hours number and tell them that she is now a patient of theirs. Or call the after hours number for the doc you found on this site. Monday is a long time from now, and she's only going to get worse the more dehydrated she gets. A knowledgeable dr. will know what to do. It sounds like her hg is out of control and treatment shouldn't wait.

Please keep us posted. :hugs:
Victoria, mommy to James 4/05 and Amelia 4/07
toi
Devoted to You

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 14, 2008 11:22 am

If she's been vomiting that severely, she needs extended IV fluids and antiemetics, and I'm furious that she wasn't taken more seriously in the ER. That kind of inattention isn't uncommon, though, and it takes persistence and careful explanation to get the needed treatment. Weigh your daughter daily and keep track of intake and output. It is not unusual for HGers to go days or weeks without eating or drinking, but of course this is not healthy and demands medical intervention. If she goes another 24 hours without taking in anything and with violent vomiting, if her weight drops, take her back to the ER and get more fluids and demand meds. It's usually repeated dehydration and 5% pre-pregnancy weight loss that gets serious attention, and even if the ER begrudges her advanced treatment, that record will be there when she does see an OB and she'll be able to get the level of care she needs. Sounds like another trip to the ER is called for. You might remind them that the protocol for rehydration calls for ability to tolerate oral fluids and little or no urine ketones before discharge, and since she's already been rehydrated once, the next step is antiemetics, which should be established before she leaves. Good luck, and keep fighting, Mom!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby IslandDreamer » Jun 14, 2008 11:28 am

I'm so sorry your daughter is sick. That ER is wretched and she deserved so much more. But I'm glad she has you. And now you both have all of us :hugs:
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby mrsmom » Jun 14, 2008 11:30 pm

An update,

Thank yo so much for all your encouragement and advice !! It helped. We took her back to the ER Saturday morning - were in the ER all day on IV and meds this time - and actually got her admitted to a room about an hour ago. The staff on this shift were much better - and we had an idea that it was important to push. Thanks so much !
mrsmom

Postby krdoty » Jun 15, 2008 10:21 am

I'm glad to hear that you've taken your daughter back to the hospital! Please do let us know how she does and whether we can help you get her needs met further. She is lucky to have a mother who is willing to fight for her!
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby toi » Jun 15, 2008 12:45 pm

So glad to hear she's getting the care she needs! :hugs:
Victoria, mommy to James 4/05 and Amelia 4/07
toi
Devoted to You

Postby mrsmom » Jun 21, 2008 9:21 pm

another update:

They kept my daughter in the hospital for two nights. They wouldn't let her go home until she could keep something down -- she has been home now for 5 days - on two different oral medications.

She's able to take some fluids and small amounts of foods. She's still naseus a great deal, but only vomiting once a day at the most, fortunately she doesn't have a job or other children - so no repsonsiblilities other than "growing the baby" - which is what we all keep telling her.

She and her husband live at home with us- and we've arranged our schedules to have someone with her pretty much all the time. We've been having a horrible heat wave here, which obviously isn't helping with the whole dehydration issue. But hopefully she will start gaining some weight back. She is very tiny to begin with == pre-pregnancy was 95 degrees. Down to 91 when she went to the hospital, and 86 when she got home.

The one thing that helps her the most is lying down in the shower for long periods ( not letting it get too hot, but warm) - so that is what she does after she eats.

I keep reading on here to get ideas - I really appreciate the support !
mrsmom

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 21, 2008 11:21 pm

Great update! I'm glad your daughter got serious attention this time and has found something to ease her symptoms. Sounds like the meds are helping and that warm, moving water is her relaxation ticket. Hope the positive trend continues. Keep us updated!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Xphile_mo » Jun 22, 2008 8:09 am

I just found this! SO glad to hear how you've managed to find site, and the girls have already given you some wonderful advice. I'm really pleased to hear that it's helped give you the courage and medical knowledge to fight for what your daughter needed!

Most of all, what I wanted to say is "Well Done" - YOU (and the rest of your family obviously) are the best thing your daughter could have in this fight against HG! Not many of us end up with the support we need; neither from doctors OR from family, and it is amazing to hear that not only are you being so supportive and helpful, but that you care so much you came on here looking for information and advice to help your baby while she endures HG for hers!

You totally rock! Way to go mommy! :D

Please keep us upated on how she's doing. She will get any support she needs (as will you).
Moira x x x

Xphile_mo
HG Expert

Postby krdoty » Jun 22, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that your daughter is now getting medical support in addition to emotional support from you and the rest of your family. Is your daughter able to articulate anything in particular as a factor that worsens her nausea? For some it is motion, and so limiting movement (theirs and their surroundings) is helpful. Smells can be particularly bad for some, so finding ways to lessen them can help lessen the nausea. Those were my two biggest nausea triggers, but I know there are other things.

How are you doing at this point? It's got to be difficult for you to watch your daughter endure this...
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby mrsmom » Jul 02, 2008 7:36 pm

I love all the support here - it really has been a lifesaver (possibly literaly).

My daughter is on Zofran and Reglan and a small amount of cannibis when needed. She is getting through the days, but barely. A big concern I'm having is that she is getting pretty severe anxiety attacks (she has always had them - that is partly what the cannibis is for). Also lots of nightmares. I read on here that the Reglan can be bad for anxiety. Does anyone have any experience / advice regarding lowering the Reglan while keeping the Zofran.

The OB has told her to try to wean down on both as she feels up to it - suggesting that she could possibly be off both by her next appointment in a few weeks.
But she is still very nauseous / weak / vomiting once or twice a day -- much worse when she has tried to skip a dose of medicine

The anxiety / panic attacks though also seem very bad and dangerous.

Thanks for any thoughts
mrsmom

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 02, 2008 8:16 pm

Glad to hear that the worst of the nausea and vomiting are under control. One of the most hurtful things we can do is wean off of meds too soon, so you are going to have to stand up to the doctor about those unreal expectations. If you suspect that Reglan is causing anxiety, then ask the doctor about switching to another med and to mark a sensitivity to Reglan in her medical chart. You can switch from one med to another all in one fell swoop and suffer a few days of adjustment, or you can gradually substitute a dose of one med for the other--start with a night dose and get that established, then replace another dose a couple days later, and so on. There are other treatment options, so don't give up! Keep her on scheduled meds and don't try to taper down until she's completely past vomiting and feeling stable. THEN you can start slowly tapering. Thanks for the update; please tell your daughter we're thinking of her.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby IslandDreamer » Jul 02, 2008 8:40 pm

Is the anxiety new? If so, Reglan is my vote for the culprit. Reglan was a horror show for me. I know more than a few women here who had bad reactions to it. I think it's wise to consider removing the Reglan if something else can be added instead.

If the anxiety isn't the Reglan, then an evaluation for perinatal depression/anxiety is called for.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Schatje » Jul 02, 2008 10:22 pm

It sounds as though you are doing really well for your daughter and I'm glad she is doing better than before.

I noticed that you said your daughter is bipolar and has an anxiety disorder and I wanted to see how that was going. I am bipolar II, GAD, and OCD. You didn't mention, other than the cannabis, what kind of care she was getting for this and since it is so early in the pregnancy I just wanted to suggest a few things that, with the horrible sickness and discovery of her being pregnant, might not have been thought about yet.

It is very very tough to have bipolar and anxiety and hg. Some women have periods of remission while pregnant from their bipolar, but it is hard to imagine that one wouldn't be depressed when predisposed and suffering from hg. Please watch her closely and get her to her psychiatrist or therapist or whoever is handling her mental health care if she shows any signs of trouble.

Is she on any other meds than the cannabis? If so please discuss with her psychiatrist ASAP if any could be of harm. My psychiatrist didn't want me on anything and suggested as an alternative ECT if things got too bad because it is found to be safe for the baby. I was supposed to call if it got bad, but I didn't because I was too afraid of the side effect of memory loss.

Also, she should be making plans for what to do postpartum long before the delivery. Postpartum is tough on any new mother, but for someone with bipolar there can be some interesting twists. For instance the lack of sleep can throw her into an episode. If she will be going back on meds the discussion over breast feeding, how long it will take to titrate the medication up to a therapeutic level, and when to start need to be ironed out.

I know the immediate and very prominent problem she is facing right now is hg, but I know how the sickness can be so overwhelming to someone with bipolar and anxiety. It is hard enough to have each disease individually without having to deal with them simultaneously.

I hope all goes well for her.
~Heidi 2X HG survivor
Schatje
Forum Moderator

Postby mrsmom » Jul 03, 2008 12:09 am

Thank you , thank you, thank you all for being here ! It is just so incredibly helpful !

-- As far as the anxiety , it has been with her forever, I'm just wondering if the Reglan might be making it worse (from what I've read here it can be an issue).

She is just doing the cannibis for the bipolar (she has bipolar 1 -ultra rapid cycling - and adhd) - she had some pretty bad reactions on other meds - so we ended up with just the cannibis - so at least we didn't have to get her off lithium too while pregnant (hey - got to count your blessings where you can find them, right ?) She's keeping the cannibis really, really minimal - just when the anxiety / mania / depression gets to the breakdown point - or at least we are aiming to get her to take it before she is in complete breakdown - but that is hard.

She isn't having to work or go to school or take care of kids or do absolutely anything --- so that helps with trying to get her through the day. It is taking a whole lot of holding and listening while she vents and trying to get her to take little bites of food and stay hydrated ( and on top of it her sister got married this weekend -- so lots of other activity / people around right now)

Does anyone think the unisom / b6 might be a good replacement for the Reglan ? I'm thinking that the unisom might help her sleep, and the b6 is good for mood stabilization anyway ? I 'll have her ask her Dr. -- he seems nice enough and was helpful at the hospital, but seems like he is pretty old school / directive and a little rushed ( there are like 3 O.B.s. in our city who will take our insurance plan -- so we feel lucky to get one who at least got the concept of needing meds for this - and he admitted her to the hospital - so that was good)

Afterwards with the baby we are definitely going to try to set it up so she doesn't get sleep deprived - between my husband, her husband and me we are hoping to take a great deal of the immediate baby care burden off of her so she can function.

Sorry to go on and on -- you guys are just my only place to "talk" ! Thank You
mrsmom

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 03, 2008 12:27 am

Unisom/B6 is one option. It's low-level, but if Zofran is keeping the worst at bay, it may help with that residual nausea. Most of us find that the drowsiness is minimal and wears off after a few days. You also have a whole host of other antihistimines, things like Dramamine and Antivert and Benedryl, which help turn off nausea. Some of our HGers have had success with Ambien, which can help with nausea AND bring sleep. Let us know if you need clarification on anything!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Bridget » Jul 03, 2008 8:58 am

Thank you for helping your daughter so much. You are doing a great job. Reglan and dehydration can both cause agitation and anxiety so it sounds like eliminating the reglan and keeping her well-hydrated are priorities. Also accept that she might just feel scared and helpless etc because she is going through a pretty scary experience! All the ladies on this board can tell you of moments when they felt even despondent about surviving. But it does get better. (I'm in week 34 of my 2nd HG pregnancy!) She is lucky to have you.
Bridget

Next

Return to Partners, Friends, and Family