On Zofran, Reglan, and Phenergan - Getting Pump and Scared!

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

On Zofran, Reglan, and Phenergan - Getting Pump and Scared!

Postby DeColeCody » Aug 21, 2004 2:45 pm

Zofran 8 mg every 6 hours
Reglan 10 mg every 6 hours
phenergan 25 mg every 6 hours

Hi, I have been dosing my self with all three of these and still end up hooked to an IV.

The dr called for a pump and I should hear early next week about it! I am afraid of it because I know very little about them. Also can I take it to work with me?

I am desperate to feeling better. I feel horrible and I am sure I look just as bad.

Any advice would be appreciated! Why does my stomach cramp so bad on Reglan?
DeColeCody
Welcomed Friend

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 21, 2004 4:19 pm

What pump are you getting - zofran? reglan?

My experience is with a subQ zofran pump. Every 3 days or so, you have to start a new site - which involves sticking yourself in the thigh. It isn't so bad. HOWEVER, zofran is a skin and muscle irritant - and quite frankly, it hurts going in and leaves big sore welts on your legs. Or at least it did for me. The soreness is worth it if the nausea subsides. I think the reglan pump is less harsh.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby DeColeCody » Aug 21, 2004 6:06 pm

Were you able to work?
DeColeCody
Welcomed Friend

Postby carriedodson » Aug 21, 2004 7:12 pm

Don't be scared. You can take the pump anywhere with you. Although if you aren't feeling well you might want to stay on the couch : ) I took my pump in overalls pockets. I wore them all the time.

Here is how it works: You will get reglan OR zofran infusion 24 hours a day by inserting a butterfly needle in your upper thigh. It works by putting it in the fatty part of your leg. You will change the site every other day by pulling up the fat on your leg and then quickly pushing the needle straight down. It does not hurt if it is inserted correctly. What are you getting? reglan or zofran pump? they work differently. I had reglan pump until 6 months pg. I do think it got me over the hump but if I could go back I would have done zofran. I still vomited constantly and still ended up needing IV fluids even with reglan pump. It also made me lethargic and depressed. Do you have any side effects with oral reglan? even with the reglan pump I still needed oral zofran and extra boluses of medication.

I hope this helps,if you have any other questions just holler!
Carrie
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 21, 2004 7:17 pm

I worked with the pump, just clipped the case on my waistband and forgot about it.
The only problem was that with the pump, my pager, my cell phone and the weight loss, it was a bit hard to keep my pants on. Oh, and the fact that I was really too sick to be working at all.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 21, 2004 7:59 pm

I shouldn't have worked, but I did. The pump doesn't impede your ability to work. The nausea, vomiting, and exhaustion does.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby DeColeCody » Aug 21, 2004 8:14 pm

:D :shock: :P :D :lol: :wink:

Thank You all so very much! The PA said they ususally do Reglan but I would rather have Zofran as the oral Reglan makes me have bad cramps. If I stay in front of my meds the days are so much better. Although I am not doing much during these "good" times.

I iwll find out about the pump early next week and let you guys know! You have no idea how much I appreciate all of the information! I truly pictured myself pushing one of those 3 wheel IV carts around... That would be funny Downtown would'nt it.

Did anyone get a handicap sticker for parking? My Parking Garage is 2 blocks from my office, we have one attached to my building, however to get a pass to park in it I have to have a handicap sticker... Just wondering!
DeColeCody
Welcomed Friend

Postby carriedodson » Aug 21, 2004 8:22 pm

You won't have to get handicapped sticker. The pump is light weight and can be worn inside your pants/pocket or clipped on your waist. You might want someone to drive you though in so no car smells bother you while you walk in the parking garage and so you can hold your bag while you are in route. Best of luck, we have all been there. Please let us know what they do cause we can help you!
Carrie

p.s. I quit teaching when I was pg there would have been no way in h***!
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 21, 2004 9:01 pm

I've often wondered if hyperemetic women could get temporary handicap parking tags.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby DeColeCody » Aug 22, 2004 9:15 am

BlueEyore -

I am going to have to ask about the sticker. It is not just the pump. I have my computer roll bag, my files in another bag! There is so much stuff to carry back and forth. Plus the smell in the street is to much to handle. I dont need it for all the time... I was just wondering if anyone had gotten one!
DeColeCody
Welcomed Friend

Postby danimomof2girls » Aug 27, 2004 10:01 am

Hi,
Don't be scared! I had the zofran pump and had to change my site every other day. Zofran can be harsh on your muscle (mine was in my thigh muscle). On the every other day change, I would switch legs to allow the other one to heal a bit.
The good news is that I had more success with the pump the with oral zofran. You will also have a home health nurse who will help you. They don't leave you without knowing exactly how to do it without fear. My husband actually did mine most of the time.
If you have any further questions, feel free to email me! dozdych@knology.net
Don't worry, you'll be fine! It is never easy, but you are strong and you will make it!
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Got the reglan pump about 10 days ago...

Postby Beth » Sep 02, 2004 11:36 pm

Hi, just wanted to tell you that getting the reglan pump was the best decision I could have made! I had the trouble with anxiety when they gave me Reglan via IV, but have not had any problem with the pump version, except for some very mild restlessness at times. Then again, I was also in the middle of moving, so that may very well have been the cause.

Some things that I've done that helped with the pump:

I found that if I leave the needle in longer than 48 hours, my leg is a little sore afterward. I change the site every two days, but some have found that they can go longer without needing to move it., while others have had to move it more often. (I think two days is the usual recommendation from Matria, the nursing people).

If you use an ice pack for a few minutes before putting the needle in, it will numb the skin (I learned that one here, thanks guys!). Just make sure you hold off on taping it down until the chill and any wetness is gone before putting the tape on.

Although you don't have to, I found that using a couple pieces of cloth tape over the adhesive pads that comes with the injection site kit was a big help. I use one or two pieces on top of the "button" (you'll see) and one a little lower to keep the tube in place. Otherwise it can pull out a bit and need to be changed more often, especially if I'm very active.

I also use a permanent marker to circle the spot where I last inserted the needle. That way, I can be sure that I'm at least an inch away from the previous one or two sites.

One last one, if you are given a rate of, say, 250/hr, this means that it will go through 1000 ml in 4 hours. So, if you're below 2000 and going to bed, you may want to change the cartridge before going to sleep at first. Sorry if that sounds like I'm stupid, but my brain was so mathmatically challenged I really had to think it out. Must have been the glucose deprivation...

I sure hope that your experience with the pump is as good as mine! I ended up in the hospital every couple days for a time, and haven't been nearly that bad since. The vomiting still comes and goes (and you can get "extra" doses of meds through the pump if needed), but the nausea is much easier to handle now, less intense and not as prolonged. I also do the unisom/B6 thing, which helps too.

I really hope that you hit on something that helps. Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate, just thought I would share some things that helped me with the whole pump thing. I hope you post again when you can to say how you're doing...hang in there!

Beth
Beth

Postby DeColeCody » Sep 03, 2004 1:23 pm

Beth -

Thank you so much for your reply! The info is useful, I haev had this pump for about a week now. I am not very good at it but it is getting easier! I am crying a lot... I am just exhausted and cant think why I am still vomitting so much!

I feel like a weirdo walking around with the tubing outside my clothes. I am sure you are used to the stares, and the questions... "what is that?..."

I am right at 12 weeks now. How far along are you? Do you think this will get any better? Or am I doomed to be tubed for 28 more weeks???

Have a great day. i cried just reading your post. I am very emotional right now!

DeCole
DeColeCody
Welcomed Friend

Postby bibliojo » Sep 04, 2004 1:17 am

Hi,

I am wondering if somebody can explain what a pump is as I looking into possible treatments for my next pregnancy. I've read the previous posts and from what I gather you have a needle in your leg connected to tubing through which you get medication. How big is a pump? Are different pumps used with different medications? When you replace the needle every 24/48hrs do you replace the whole pump and tubing? How is it different from IVs and where do you get these pumps?

Thanks,

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Beth » Sep 04, 2004 6:58 am

Hi Joanna, I'm new to this, but I'll try to explain a little about the pump that I have...

The pump itself is about 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches, and an inch thick. Sort of half the size of a paperback book. It has a cartridge (like a big syringe) of medication inside, that it slowly dispenses over a time period. I usually replace the emptied cartridge every 30 hours or so (it beeps when it gets low).

This pump connects to a small piece of tubing, connected to a little plastic tube that is inside your leg. You use a needle to get the tube in, but then the needle comes out and you're left with just the little tube, which is taped down to your leg. This part (tubing from pump into the leg) is called the infusion set, and is replaced every 48 hours or so, depending on the type of medicine and your sensitivity to it. I find that if I go more than 48 hours exactly, my leg is a little sore for a couple days. You can take a shower, you just need to hang the pump part in a bag around your neck, the leg part is ok to get wet (but no swimming or baths, unfortunately).

Hope this helps, and I hope that if you need it, that it works for you. If you have any questions about this, please post back!

Beth
Beth

Postby DeColeCody » Sep 05, 2004 10:03 am

Joanna -

Beth is right in her description. I am using the pump (Reglan) and then Zofran (oral) and phenergan (suppository). The pump is not as bad as I imagined. I hook it to my pants, which tend to fall down from the weight loss and the extra tug of the pump.

I have a lot of cargo pants so the pocket has a purpose now! Stay in touch with us. I hope that your next pregnancy will avoid this wonderful curse!

I have good days and bad!

DeCole
DeColeCody
Welcomed Friend

Postby bibliojo » Sep 05, 2004 5:22 pm

Thanks Beth and DeCole for your explanations! I'm assuming that you've had your meds via IVs and that has worked well for you. Do you find that the pump works just as well as the IVs? Where do you get these pumps? Do you have to have a prescription for them? Was it hard to convince your doctor to let you have one (as I'm assuming that there are more risks for infection with them)? Sorry for all the questions...I just found that IVs were much more effectively for me and I would like an alternative to taking my meds orally and pushing an IV pole around isn't too appealing! (But you do whatever it takes, eh?!)

I do hope that you guys feel better soon! At 12 weeks, DeCole, you're probably over the worst of it. I found with my pregnancy I started slowly getting better around 14/15 weeks. I was able to eat more things, vomitted less, and started feeling less nauseous overall. It was gradual with me but I definately felt a whole lot better than I did those first 3 months!

Take care,
Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Pump meds and scripts

Postby Beth » Sep 05, 2004 10:11 pm

Hi Joanna, I think that Zofran and Reglan are the most common meds given via pump for HG. The Reglan via IV worked for me in the hospital, but I did have quite a bit of anxiety and restlessness when it was given that way. It passed within 20 minutes or so, but felt like a lifetime! I have Reglan in the pump, and really haven't had any problem except for mild hyperness, sort of, when getting a bolus (extra) dose.

Yes, it's by prescription, I'm pretty sure. For me, my doc was talking about it before I even had to go in for fluids, just because of my weight loss and general misery (he's a really good, compassionate doc, I'm very lucky!). Then Matria, a home nursing company that specializes in prenatal care, came out to do the first setup and show me how to work the pump. They can also give fluids if ordered by the doctor, I was told. They call every day to see how I'm doing and to see if the dose needs to be adjusted, and I can call them 24/7 with questions or if I need extra meds. The meds and supplies arrive via Fedex every few days as needed. They also have a nutrionist consult that was very helpful. Much, much easier than IV poles and full time hospital/nursing care, I would say!

I really hope that you can talk to your doctor about getting a pump if you've found that either Reglan or Zofran in an IV helps. That way, you get the medicine round the clock, and you avoid that rollercoaster of IV, feeling better for a bit, downhill again, and back to the IV to get on top of things for a time.

I mentioned before that I haven't been doing this very long, so I hope that some of the "old timers" here chime in if I've missed anything or if there are other options that should be considered. I guess I'm just fortunate that I hit on something that works for me so quickly, hopefully you'll have the same experience. How far along are you now? Please post back if there's anything else you need to know and how you're doing!

Beth
Beth

Postby bibliojo » Sep 05, 2004 10:50 pm

Hi Beth,

I'm actually not pregnant right now...I'm just planning for my next pregnancy! I don't think that we'll actually TTC for another 9 months or so but I discovered this website a couple weeks ago and thought that it wouldn't hurt to start researching other options since my first pregnancy was so awful.

How very nice that you have a home nursing company that checks up on you every day! I would have loved to have had that! When I was pregnant with my son, I had to pester people all the time to get the care I needed and even then I really struggled. I hadn't expected to get HG (although I should have known better since my mother had HG with both her pregnancies) so I was totally blown away by it. At first, I was given Diclectin 4 times a day supplmented with B6 but that didn't help at all and within two weeks I was in the hospital. It was there that we found out that a combination of Reglan, Gravol and Zantac worked great in IV form (although I do agree with you about the anxiety side effect but I just couldn't wait to get the drugs into me so that I could feel better!) When I went back home I had to take it orally and it wasn't nearly as effective. But since I was too ill to do any research on other options I had to make due with that. I couldn't do anything for myself and my husband had to take care of everything. We managed to survive but then it was just the two of us. If I get sick like that again, I have to have some sort of treatment that will allow me to take care of our son or at least permit me to lie on the couch and watch him play etc. And so this pump option if it's like an IV sounds great to me as doctors aren't willing to keep you in the hospital on an IV the whole time that you are sick! (And it's not very feasible for me either as who's going to watch my boy?!) I will have to push my doctor for something like this and I'm going to have to see if there is a prenatal home nursing company like Matria up here in Canada. I'm going to need all the support that I can get!

How are you feeling though? And how far along are you? Is this your first child? I sympathize so much with how you are feeling...HG is so awful. But it will end. Not soon enough, I know! :)

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Whoops! Sorry, Joanna

Postby Beth » Sep 06, 2004 10:33 pm

Hi Joanna, sorry, I should have read your post more carefully before replying. :oops: It's wonderful that you are being so proactive in investigating the options and treatments before getting pregnant!

I'm five months now, have gained back a pound of the 10 I lost, so I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track so far. The doc was talking last visit about maybe needing TPN if I don't start putting on weight, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

So glad you're here, and I look forward to hearing more from you over the next few months. We were actually ttc about a year from now, but surprises are good, too, if you ask me! Not sure we would have ever gotten around to it, plus I only have one tube (ectopic pg, surgery) so thought it would be difficult to conceive. What a wonderful accident!

Please let me know if you have any questions on my posts or anything I may be able to answer, but I'm still really new to all this, the oldtimers here are the experts. Thank goodness for this forum and just knowing that we're not alone!

Beth
Beth

Next

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies