Unconcerned Boss

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Unconcerned Boss

Postby Angila95 » Nov 28, 2005 6:56 pm

I just went back to work last week at 18 weeks. I was out for 10 weeks on short term disability. The only reason I went back is because I was told I would lose my job if I didn't return before Thanksgiving. My boss told me that when I come back I need to be ready to deal with it because she doesn't want to hear me complaining! I have a hard time just taking a shower, work is killing me. Can my boss legally be so rude?
Angila95

Postby BrandiJK » Nov 28, 2005 8:19 pm

I'd say no, but HG is a really hard one. Is your doc supportive of you remaining off work, or returning? I'd look into the laws out there.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby JennyK » Nov 28, 2005 8:42 pm

Sorry your boss is such a jerk. Throw up on her.

Maybe you could call your state's department of labor to see if they could advise you of what your rights are.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby SkunkPaw » Nov 28, 2005 9:41 pm

I totally know what you are talking about with the boss being rude. With my first pregnancy I had to take a week off due to some cramping and the HR manager made me cry in front of my boss. I didn't know my rights and was totally after them after that. I went to see a lawyer about it and he said that if they fired me or made it where I wanted to quit then I could sue. I had gotten a promotion right before I got pregnant to the sales department. I was ahead of the department and after this they demoted me. I ended up taking long breaks/lunches and then quitting.

This pregnancy I got transferred to a new sup durning being off work. We have a short term disability benefits. My employer has tried to make me go back to work but I don't think I could handle the stress. My doctor and I have been talking about it and I will find out more tomorrow how much longer I have, I hope anyways. My disability tried to deny my claim after I was out of the hospital for two weeks and I printed off lots of stuff online and included research and my doctors note and a note explaining my day to day activities. After about 30 business days they approved me again and now they have once again denied me for any time after Nov 1st. I am in the appealing process now. From what I have learned from calling law offices durning my first denial is they can't do anything and neither can you until they tell you that you can't appeal their decision. Then you can take the matter to court.

If you have your doctors support and you want to go back to work, ask for part time. So that way you can work your way back to work. If you can handle that and you want to go back full time talk to your doctor. If part time doesn't work for you then I would talk to your doctor about getting back off work. You may have to be hospitialized for the politics but your doc can make it work for you. I hope your doc is more supportive than your boss. If they fire you for being so sick you and you have doctors notes you can sue. I would have your doctor write you a letter saying that if you get sick at work you are to go home. There is FMLA that your employers has to give you but it differs in different states. Here you have to be employed by that company for over a year. With FMLA you can be safe for up to 12 weeks off work, but the bad news is your disability takes away from that or it does for me. Hope this info helps.
*Chaz*

SkunkPaw
Been There Done That

Postby JennyK » Nov 28, 2005 11:58 pm

I just wanted to clarify that FMLA is federal. Here is an overview of it: http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/fmla.htm

States may give a greater benefit than FMLA provides, but they cannot take away from FMLA benefits.

If you have already been out 10 weeks your right to FLMA (if you even qualify for it) may be nearly exhausted.

I did not qualify for FMLA when I was pregnant with my daughter because I had been employed there for less than a year. Since then I changed jobs and my new employer is not subject to FMLA because they have fewer than 50 employees.

FMLA is better than nothing but it's not nearly strong enough. And this is not to say there isn't blatently illegal employment discrimination even when FMLA applies.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby Angila95 » Nov 29, 2005 7:50 pm

Unfortunately my FMLA is almost out and my boss has told me that they probably won't hold my position when I go out on maternity leave. When I went back to work last week they had me doing phone work which is very stressful in the mortgage industry. (they had me doing this even though I was promoted two years ago) sometimes I wish they would fire me...
Angila95

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment