bad batch of Zofran or just build up tolerance?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

bad batch of Zofran or just build up tolerance?

Postby lbanco » Aug 26, 2004 8:28 am

I have been on Zofran since about my 8th week. My actual vomiting seem to dimisnish some what but really didn't end until about two weeks ago. Now, I have started back up again at night! I thought I was on an upward trend. Starting at about 6pm or so I have been getting sick again and it lasts until I get in bed.

I'm on 8mg of Zofran taken every 12 hours. Could it be possible that my last batch of pills from the pharmacy were expired? I asked the pharmacist and he said no.

Has anyone had this experience? Is there anything else I can take or do?

Thanks,
LBanco
lbanco

Postby danimomof2girls » Aug 27, 2004 9:45 am

I built up a tolerance to Zofran very quickly with both of my pregnancies. During my second pregnancy, I had liquid zofran via sub-q pump. I don't know if there is any medical evidence supporting this but I do know my personal experience. I would ask my doctor about increasing your dosage as you are not at the maximum that can be taken. Hang in there (I used to hate when people said that to me - sorry!) It will soon be over. In the meantime, I would stay in close contact with my doctor and let him/her know exactly how you are feeling!
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Danielle

Postby lbanco » Aug 27, 2004 9:56 am

Thanks for the advice. I talked to my doctor last night and he said to try an increase to see if that works. I took Unisom/B6 last night instead of Zofran and it seemed to work. Although I was passed out by 8:30. It's so good to know that you built up a tolerance. I thought I was going crazy or something.

Thanks again and your girls are beautiful.

LBanco
lbanco

Postby danimomof2girls » Aug 27, 2004 10:11 am

I'm glad that my personal experience gave you comfort in some way. Thanks for the compliment on my girls. You'll also be happy to know that HG babies come out to be very healthy! It's us moms who are left with little...ha ha.
I'm glad your doctor increased your dosage. Don't lose heart if you build up a tolerance again. There are some other things that can be done if you begin to get really sick again. I eventually had to get a hickman catheter put into my chest at 7 weeks gestation with my second one. It was the most invasive procedure I had but the one with the most success. I was able to gain the weight and nutrients that I needed for the baby. There are also Zofran pumps and I did that one as well. It seemed to be more effective for me than the oral doses.
Hopefully as you move forward with your pregnancy, the HG will lessen a bit and you will feel like you have a little more energy. If you have any questions about what my doctor did for me, just email me dozdych@knology.net. I'm always here if you need an ear or someone to cry to. I know how hard it is and how depressing it can be to be so sick.

Take care of yourself and get some rest!
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Postby RebeccaM » Aug 28, 2004 1:23 pm

Lbanco,

It might just be that the HG is getting worse so the Zofran dose you were on wasn't cutting it. Maybe you could try increasing your dosage, like your doctor recommended. That often works. Remember, the max dose for Zofran is 32 mg a day (you're only on half that), and it works best when your hydrated (kind of an oxymoron for those who can't even keep down water :? ). Try not to give up on the Zofran too soon, especially since you've already had some success with it. Also, combining it with other drugs, like Unisom/B6, can help.

Have you read the Zofran/B6 stickey at the top of this forum? It's got great info that may help you.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies