Great forum, but....

A place where partners, fathers, friends, and family members can discuss experiences and difficulties regarding loved ones' Hyperemesis.

Moderator: cormander

Great forum, but....

Postby Fighton95 » Dec 27, 2005 1:13 pm

I love getting feedback from all of you and appreciate that the women come here to read from a man's perspective, but...

Where are the men? My buddies and I have some great conversations about these topics. More often, though, when women are around, we modify/change what we say. I would love to have a forum that is truly for men only. If anyone knows of such, please advise.

No offense to the women, I just feel that a lot of men would find comfort posting. I post to my college football site, which is predominantly male posters. You should see the comraderie that has built over time with these boards. We don't just talk about football, a lot of men open up and share parts of their life they wouldn't have outside of the boards.

I would still post to this forum to gain insight from other women and also offer my insight to them. I have read some posts where these poor guys write what they are feeling and get lambasted for doing so by other women...ouch.
Fighton95

Postby PamelaRose » Dec 27, 2005 1:44 pm

Yes, poor partners are a silent bunch in much of the territory here. Not that we don't love and appreciate you... :wink:

We'd love to see this forum for fathers grow and flourish. You'll find many HGers responding here because we hate to see you sitting all by your lonesome! But there are other dads, and they've been in your shoes and know the trials you're facing. If you'd like to get in touch with an HG dad, just hit the "email" or "pm" button at the bottom of his post and start up a private conversation. You can do the same with the ladies here--I daresay most of us have partners who'd be more than willing to lend support and advice. My husband may not know the statistics and the right things to say, but he's definitely been there, done that and can offer a world of experience to someone who's wondering what on earth he's gotten himself into with this HG thing!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby aaronsmommy » Dec 27, 2005 11:00 pm

The father's forum is only now getting more attention from dads, and so there have always been more posts from the women here. Hopefully that will change.

I do think most of the time it is nice for all of us to see the posts from the other perspective in order to help us all understand what the other is going through, so I do think there are advantages to an open forum. However, I know there is often a lot of husband bashing that goes on on the forums that may be uncomfortable to some. It is possible to do private forums here and if there is an interest, maybe we can discuss doing a "Dads only" forum that can only be read and posted to by dads that register. (I will say that we have tried to do that with the health professionals forum, but so far it hasn't worked very well.)

What it would take would be at least one committed dad to keep it going. If you would be interested in moderating a forum like that, let us know, and I'll take it to the other moderators and administrators and see what they think about having it here.

If there is anyone out lurking but interested in a forum like this, please post here to let us know and I'll see what we can do.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby aaronsmommy » Dec 28, 2005 12:45 am

Another option would be to go ahead and create a group somewhere (like Yahoo groups) and we could post a link so other partners could find it.

I know my husband feels like this is MY group and wouldn't post here. He was completely suuportive, and understands my connection here, he's just not interested in sharing it. I doubt if he'd post elsewhere now, but maybe when I was pg?
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby IslandDreamer » Dec 28, 2005 2:55 pm

Could we have a locked partner forum? That way, you could get all members on this board but still have a more private place to go and not feel the need to sensor your words.

As for my dh, he's one of the silent bunch. Sorry.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby carla » Dec 29, 2005 9:02 pm

My dh comes here quite often to check for posts from other dh's. Unfortunately we have been fairly busy lately. I will let him know that there are some other men on here now looking to chat. Love the ideas. I would like to see the dp's able to chat together as well. Thanks for your input!
Severe HG with DD (Gracee) 30/03/2006
Severe HG with DD (Amara) 01/04/2008
carla
HG Diva

Postby brad_malone » Dec 30, 2005 4:27 pm

I have been following a number of boards here and I must say this is my first time posting. I enjoyed your earlier post fighton, but I never feel like I have anything to add. This is our first pregnancy, and everything is so new, stressful and scary.

I think the hardest part is the good periods. My wife is 18 weeks along and has been very good for the last week. She woke up this morning at 3am and was sick again. She has been in bed all day. I was just so glad we were past this portion and for it to come back is such a downer.

The last two months have been the hardest of my life. Unfortunitly, it is not the hardest period of my wife's. She is a type 1 diabetic (which we first thought was the cause of this, before finding this site and seeing no correlation). She has also survived a severe staph infection when she was a teneager.

Well, Everien (my wife) needs me, so I will try to write later.

Thanks to all the dads that write, and thank you also to the moms who struggle through at a level of discomfort that I can't even bear to watch.

Brad Malone
brad_malone

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 17, 2006 10:16 pm

Any progress in getting a private forum for the partners?
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Return to Partners, Friends, and Family