Western Mass (middle of nowhere)

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Western Mass (middle of nowhere)

Postby *** » May 31, 2004 7:29 pm

I lve in western MA and am looking for a perinatologist, I didn't have one with my firstHG pg and don't know about them. I have recently switched OBs and I love one of the midwives in the practice. How do I go for my physical before ttc and ask to have a perinatologist involved? Do I need anyone else involved? I've started taking B6 to prepare and my dh and family (my parents ahve an in-law apt off our house so they are oly a breezeway away) are all very supportive and want another baby in the family (preferably without HG, yeah right :? .) I'm just not sure what to say at my physical to get the best care I can. Like I said I live in the middle of nowhere!!!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Erika
Forum Moderator

Re: Western Mass (middle of nowhere)

Postby MamaLily » Jun 01, 2004 12:04 am

Erika -

Hi and welcome!

I think having a perinatologist set up before HG starts is a great idea. My peri made all the difference for me with HG! If you have a peri, I don't think you need anyone else involved...you should get very good care.

Here are some suggestions I have:
- Ask your midwife. This is obviously the easiest way (I always like word-of-mouth referrals from someone I trust). Hopefully she will know a great peri. If she doesn't know one, keep looking and we will help you here all that we can!
- Go to
http://www.helpher.org/mothers/referral ... re-pro.php
This page discusses ways to find a health care provider.
- Look at http://www.smfm.org/index.cfm?zone=search&nav=doctor . You can type in your city/state and hopefully find a peri who lives in your area.

If you will let me know the city where you live, perhaps I can help you find someone.

When you do find a peri, schedule an appointment before ttc. Any doctor with good knowledge of HG should be happy to see you. I recently had such a visit - a "Pre-Conception Consultation." Have you started to work on a strategy plan/protocol? One of the forums here is designed esp for that, and the women here have wonderful suggestions!

It's wonderful that you have family support. It makes such a difference! And taking the B6 is a great idea before ttc.

Good luck and let me know what you find. I'm more than happy to help, if I can!

- Anna
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Thanks

Postby *** » Jun 01, 2004 9:48 am

Thankyou for the suggestions. I live in a tiny little town, Northfield MA. It is right on the border of NH, VT, and MA. I guess I'm not sure what to do to start a HG protocol so I'll check out the other posts.
Again thankyou
Erika
Forum Moderator

Re: Thanks

Postby MamaLily » Jun 01, 2004 11:12 pm

Erika -

After a quick search, I couldn't find any doctors in Northfield. You said it's in the middle of nowhere...but if you need to get fluids or go to the hospital, where will you go? Is there a bigger city nearby where there might be a greater chance of finding a doctor who knows about HG?

Let me know if I can help with your protocol.

- Anna
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby *** » Jun 02, 2004 8:48 am

The hospital that we go to is a half hour away in Greenfield MA. The major hospital for high risk pg and the nicu is in springfield MA one hour and 20 minutes away. I was never there for my hg but my dd was in the picu during a bout of RSV. I'm hoping to find a peri in the Springfield area. The Greenfield hospital is an affiliate of Springfield so sometimes the docs will come up to Greenfield. Hopefully I will be able to find one.
Thanks for the help
HUGS
Erika
Forum Moderator

Springfield Doctors

Postby MamaLily » Jun 02, 2004 2:33 pm

Erika -

I just tried to send you an e-mail with this info, but it didn't work. I think something must be wrong either with this forum or with my computer...it keeps logging me out! Anyway, here is what I was going to e-mail to you. Sorry it's such a long post. Hopefully it will help!

I suggest calling these offices (or any others you find) and asking to make a pre-conception consultation visit. Any great doctor with HG knowledge will be more than happy to have you come in before you actually conceive. The consultation will probably let you know better than anything how the doctor will be. I recently went to my consultation and walked out feeling so confident in my new doctor! It's worth searching until you find a good fit for you!

- Anna

P.S. If any of these doctors work out for you, please let me know so we can keep them on file. Thanks!

#1 - Here are the doctors who specialize in Maternal/Fetal Medicine (MFM). I highly recommend that HGers find doctors in the Maternal/Fetal area, since those doctors usually know more about HG treatments.

FADI BSAT M.D.
REGULAR (MFM) MEMBER
BAYSTATE MEDICAL CENTER
OB/GYN
759 CHESTNUT STREET
SPRINGFIELD, MA 01199-0001
fadi.bsat@bhs.org

KAREN FERRONI M.D.
REGULAR (MFM) MEMBER
271 CAREW STREET
SPRINGFIELD, MA
413/748-7226

JOHN O' GRADY M.D.
REGULAR (MFM) MEMBER
759 CHESTNUT STREET
SPRINGFIELD, MA
patrick.ogrady@BHS.Org
413/784-3470

DAVID SEUBERT M.D.
REGULAR (MFM) MEMBER
BAYSTATE MEDICAL CENTER
759 CHESTNUT STREET
SPRINGFIELD, MA 01199
david.seubert@bhs.org

#2 - I found this OB/GYN practice. There are three doctors here. None of them are perinatologists, but Dr. Costa has received clinical awards in gastroenterology; this makes me think that he might have some good info about HG. It might be worth giving the office a call to find out.

Fitzpatrick, Moran, & Costa, LLP
299 Carew Street
Springfield, MA 01104
Phone: 413.781.6210
Fax: 413.733.7570
click here for a map

#3 - Here is a link to the Maternal-Fetal Medicine/High-Risk Obstetrics division of Baystate Health Systems.

http://www.baystatehealth.com/1025/4242/3276/3309/
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby *** » Jun 04, 2004 7:13 pm

Thank You Thank You Thank You
Just wanted to thank you for finding the info on those docs. It's Friday night and now I can't wait until Monday morning to call and find out more info from them. It has given me new hope that there is a doc out here who will know who to help and won't just say "wow I've never seen anyone this sick from being pg"
Again THANKYOU
HUGS
Erika
Forum Moderator

Postby MamaLily » Jun 06, 2004 9:51 pm

Erika -

You are very welcome. I'll be excited to hear what you find out when you call. Please keep me posted!

- Anna

P.S. I assume you've already read the list of questions to ask a new doctor on this website...if you haven't, you ought to check it out. It's great!
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby *** » Jun 07, 2004 5:32 pm

Hi
I got a hold of a few docs but I need to go to my regular OB to get a referral before they'll see me. So it's back to waiting until July. Thankfully with Cecilya time just seems to fly by.
Thankyou
HUGS Erika
Forum Moderator

Postby MamaLily » Jun 08, 2004 9:04 pm

Erika -

Did it sound like any of the doctors would be good for an HG patient? I realize it will be a few months before you know anything for sure, but keep us posted!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment