FMLA: what is dh entitled to?

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

FMLA: what is dh entitled to?

Postby IslandDreamer » Dec 31, 2005 2:06 pm

I don't qualify as a contract employee at my university, but dh works for a large enough company that he's entitled to something. Anyone know the specifics on paid leave?
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby SkunkPaw » Dec 31, 2005 3:32 pm

Well I know that FMLA isn't paid leave unless you have short term disability. He may be able to get maternity leave himself to help you out and get paid. He would need to check with his HR. I think that you have to be employeed a year before you can quailfy for FMLA. Through the company that I work for the only way I can get FMLA paid for is if I have sick times bulit up and it takes away from that.

Sorry if I wasn't much help, that is pretty much what I know.
*Chaz*

SkunkPaw
Been There Done That

Postby aaronsmommy » Dec 31, 2005 5:11 pm

FMLA is not paid, although they will continue to pay benefits while you are on FMLA time.
You can find answers as to what qualifies here:
http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/fmla/fmlamenu.asp

CA now has 6 weeks of paid family leave through their disability program (in addition to disability), which both mom and dad qualify for, but I believe it is the only state that has anything of the sort.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby teddi » Dec 31, 2005 5:55 pm

The PFL was truly a lifesaver program for us, with the twins.

In fact, when I first heard about it, before it started, that was when I decided to yes, TTC again. And I had no idea how much it would help given how bad I was doing physically post partum. My DH took 5 weeks off, the first week we were so fortunate, during the "waiting period" his work paid (a company benefit) one week's pay for "new parent leave".

Then he took 4 weeks off using his PFL. He just used the last two weeks of the claim a few weeks ago. It was "use it or lose it", so I insisted he use it (the depression was at it's worst).

Suzanne, like the others said, the only pay he'll get would be what's offered directly thru his employment benefits. But he can take off 12 weeks via FMLA. He needs to have had (this is the number that pops into my head) 1260 hrs of work w/his employer (so even IF you have been there less than 12 months, if you have that many hours, you can still qualify).
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment