Expiration Date

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Expiration Date

Postby dolphinsnb » Sep 21, 2004 12:49 pm

Need some advice. I have some Zofran with an expiration date of July 2004. Should I still take it or toss it? It's so expensive that it pains me to think of tossing it, but I don't want to take it if it's not going to help or make me sicker. Anyone know if the expiration date is the true expiration date or if there is some leeway (sp) :?: ???

Thanks,
Shannon
dolphinsnb
Welcomed Friend

Postby RebeccaM » Sep 21, 2004 1:59 pm

I, too, would like to know the same thing. We are currently ttc and I have some leftover Zofran (only 7 4mg pills) with and expiration date of this month. Would they still be good if I used them before the end of the year? I hope someone has some insight on this.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby mammaclare » Sep 21, 2004 7:45 pm

The expiration on the prescription bottle is generally one year from date of filling. This is to be on the safe side. The real exp date for the meds is likely much later.

You can do a couple things. If you still have the original pharmacy bottle, call the pharmacy and ask for the exact lot # that your rx was filled from. Then, call GlaxoSmithKline and ask the actual expiration date for the lot #. As long as the pills were kept in a dark, cool place without excess humidity then they shoud be good until the REAL exp. date.

This is what I have to do with my samples I carry for the drug I sell...and most of the time the samples exp date is 1-2 years away.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby RebeccaM » Sep 22, 2004 3:31 pm

Thanks Clare. That helps a lot. I will do some calling.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Double thanks!

Postby dolphinsnb » Sep 23, 2004 6:37 am

Thanks for the insight - very helpful!
Shannon