Anzemet for hyperemesis?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Anzemet for hyperemesis?

Postby bps821 » Aug 31, 2004 4:17 pm

Has anyone been prescribed and/or tried Anzemet (Dolasetron) for hyperemesis? I suffered severe HG with my first pg and am terrified of getting pg again. However, I want my dd to have a sibling and I am 37, so cannot wait too long (dd is 10 months - was thinking after she turns one year). I am HIGHLY ALLERGIC to Zofran and therefore will not be prescribed Kytril. I spoke with GSK about Zofran and got a big N-O.

I have researched Anzemet and have taken two 100 mg doses to see if I am allergic. I am not - just bad headache and bowel cramping - nothing when compared to months of vomiting and nausea.

Anyone tried this drug?

I took Reglan with Atarax 4x a day until I delivered last time. Did not really help much, and suffered bad HG through 24 weeks, then just bad nauseau without the vomiting.

Was out of work for 2 months which we cannot afford so looking desperately for any alternatives!

Thanks and hope to hear back any information or advice.

bps
bps821

Postby MamaLily » Aug 31, 2004 6:23 pm

BPS -

I have not personally taken Anzemet, but I wanted to make sure that you've looked at the GREAT page on this website called "Common Medications." It lists all of the meds that are commonly used to treat HG, and there are a lot of them! It's worth some research and maybe trying them before conception to see how your body reacts. Maybe you could print out the list and take it to your doctor.

Here's the link:
http://helpher.org/mothers/treatments/medications.php

Good luck to you! Do you have a good doctor?

- Anna

P.S. It is very rare for someone to be allergic to Zofran. Are you absolutely sure that you weren't allergic to another med you were given at the same time? I've heard of someone thinking they had a Zofran allergy, only to find out that they were really allergic to Phenergan or Reglan or some other med that they were given at the same time. Just wondering...
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby nomore » Sep 01, 2004 8:10 am

BPS,

ALso thought I would chime in. Have you tried Phenergan? It helped me, although it made me VERY sleepy. Good luck. I have never tried anzement.

HuGS,

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Anzemet for hyperemesis?

Postby bps821 » Sep 01, 2004 12:17 pm

Thanks for the replies. I wish someone has taken Anzemet and could report whether it helped and what the side effects were. I am deathly allergic to Zofran and Kytril - I go into anaphalactic shock and yes, GSK has only had a handful of reports of such a reaction but they said I am allergic. They sent a letter stating I am not to take it (I suppose to protect themselves from litigation).

Reglan did not really help much. I have taken Phenergan in the past which put me to sleep for 2 days (not related to pregnancy). It is in the same class of drug as Reglan, so I stuck with Reglan which actually gets you a bit hyper.

I did take Anzemet to see if I was allergic (and I am not pregnant). Just gave me a bad headache and bowel cramping on the two occasions I have taken it. I am going to be prescribed a lesser does to see if I get the side effects. Problem is - I don't know if it helps me with nausea since I am not pregnant. Just looking for some advice before I try and roll the dice again.

It is encouraging to see there are women who had HG as I did the first time and experienced lesser symptoms the second time around. While my doctor told me "not to be optimistic," I hope he is wrong. He is very sympathetic and put up with my complaints, tears and at times, threats (I thought I was going to lose my mind and did in fact suffer terrible depression) in a kind and gentle manner. As he put it though, his job was to get me through the pregnancy and have a healthy child - he was really only concerned, medically, with the vomiting as that was affecting my health. As for the constant nausea, he said it happens and that the baby and I were both healthy.

I hope my desire for a second child outweighs my fear of HG!

BPS
bps821

Postby MamaLily » Sep 03, 2004 4:52 pm

BPS -

Did you doctor discuss the possibility of you taking steroids? I was given steroids at week 11 and they helped to stop the weight loss and also decreased the vomiting. There are women who have found steroids to help reduce the nausea as well. Usually doctors don't prescribe them before weeks 10-12, but if you can get through those first weeks with other meds (meclizine, phenergan, reglan, anzemet?, etc.) then steroids could be a great option for you.

Also, if I have another pregnancy, I will start immediately on meclizine. Did you try it at all? It is an over-the-counter medicine that is commonly used for motion sickness. But HGers have found that it can really help control nausea. And I had that horrible, round-the-clock, make-you-crazy nausea for soooo long! So meclizine is at the top of my list!

Hope you find something that works for you! I'll see if I can find anyone with anzemet experience...

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

I have tried Anzemet

Postby teddi » Sep 26, 2004 2:24 pm

Because it is cheaper than Zofran, it was the first drug given me this time by my HMO.

I had it two or three times in my IV with fluids. The only side effect I noticed was diarrhea (sp). I didn't notice that I felt ANY better for the nausea, unfortunately. I was also given a Rx for the pills, which I took for about a week, with no noticable relief.

My neighbors mother in law has cancer, and she is using it to help her with nausea (it is taken pre-emptively for her) and she says it does help. Perhaps trying it BEFORE the HG starts might be more effective?

Sorry I don't have better news.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

anzemet

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 01, 2004 1:20 am

Had it in IV form. Can't say much beyond that as they (ER docs) also hooked me up with antibiotics for a UTI, so I went home puking. Antibiotics do it to me every time, so the Anzemet didn't have a chance.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby alisonc8 » Oct 13, 2004 8:03 pm

I tried it for about a week and it did nothing. If I remember correctly, I had to go on a heart monitor before they would let me take it (I think it was Anzamet) as apparently it causes crazy heart rhythms in some people. Once I was monitored before and after taking it, I was allowed to go back to the antepartum ward (they had me in the cardiac ICU for 48 hours!)
alisonc8

Postby aaronsmommy » Oct 13, 2004 8:59 pm

Alison - I think you are thinking of Droperidol.
It's basically the only thing I never tried because of that reason. Of course I still manage to get myself admitted to the cardiac unit for something else (some to think of it, it was probasbly a very good thing I wasn't on it at that time!)
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies