Need translations of ER bill

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Need translations of ER bill

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 16, 2004 10:18 pm

I finally have in my possession the itemized bills for my three ER visits in April and May. Geez....took forever, fighting collection agencies, and finally getting to the right person. Now I need help translating some of this stuff....I have to pay 10%, which is a lot for me, so I have not sent them a penny (though the insurance blindly paid 90%). I even told them so on two different phone calls...sheesh.

Can you help me with what these are?

Sodium chlor (for fluids, right?)
Dextrose (fluids again?)
Dolasetron (2x)
Clindamycin (antibiotic, right? 2x--don't remember 2 antibiotic drips that day)
Metoclopramide
Ranitidine

And can they bill me three times for injections? I was poked once. Do they call "hanging another bag" [i]inj intamus[/i]? They also list the exact same service code for that....switching bags does not seem the same as placing the IV.

And they ran all these blood tests and I do not have the results for my records....frustrating isn't the word.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Atsie » Oct 17, 2004 8:46 am

Hi Suzanne.
Metoclopramide is Maxeran (in Canada) I think it is Reglan ? in the US. It makes your food digest faster. And I think that Ranitidine is like pepcid or zantac. So they are both meds that can be injected in IV's.
Thats all in know!
Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Oct 17, 2004 9:31 am

Dolasetron is anzemet (a relative of zofran).
The sodium chlor could be a bag of fluids or it could be one of those little bottles they use to draw up flushes for the IV.
"inj intramus" should be an IM injection - a shot in the butt or the arm.
The others you've got.
good luck
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

thanks

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 17, 2004 2:46 pm

Thanks for the help. I should have known these things, but the "official" names puzzled me. Duh on not knowing. Feeling very slow for not knowing and not doing an internet search. :roll: Thinking the postpartum depression has swallowed too many brain cells. :lol:

I got no injections on any of the visits, so I will protest those bills, I guess.

Thanks.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

finally got my hospital's translations

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 22, 2005 11:19 pm

Get this...the intramuscular injection is billing code for hanging a bag of meds. Whatever :lol: . And I was overcharged for some meds...extra doses, so that was cleared up. Ugh.

Thanks Aimee and Erin.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Re: Need translations of ER bill

Postby teddi » Mar 19, 2005 6:26 pm

[quote

Can you help me with what these are?

Sodium chlor (for fluids, right?) = Normal Saline I believe
Dextrose (fluids again?) = sugar, as would be added in an IV bag
Dolasetron (2x) = Kytril I think
Clindamycin (antibiotic, right? 2x--don't remember 2 antibiotic drips that day) = yes
Metoclopramide = reglan
Ranitidine = zantac

And can they bill me three times for injections? I was poked once.
(They can bill you for them I believe even if they were INJECTED into your IV bag or into your IV line.)

Do they call "hanging another bag" inj intamus? They also list the exact same service code for that....switching bags does not seem the same as placing the IV. (Dunno about that one)

And they ran all these blood tests and I do not have the results for my records....frustrating isn't the word. (You have to request those records directly from the Hospital. I don't think the insurance folks would have access the the results.)

Suzanne[/quote]
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment