Newport Beach, CA

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Newport Beach, CA

Postby foxwoodfaerie » Oct 24, 2004 9:00 pm

Hi ladies,
As much as I love my OB, she is just not taking my HG seriously. She has told me that my condition is not serious enough for hospitalization, even though I am struggling to make it day to day. She seems to think that since I am overweight, that I can afford to lose 10 lbs in four weeks and go days and days with no food or water.
Anyway, if anyone knows of a good OB that handles HG well in Newport Beach, preferably with the Greater Newport Physicians group, I would love to hear of her. Thanks!
Ruth
foxwoodfaerie
Been There Done That

Postby aaronsmommy » Oct 24, 2004 9:26 pm

I would check in to the hyperemesis program at Long Beach Memorial, maybe a little far, but it could be worth it. They do things a bit different I think, but they do know hyperemesis that's for sure and do a lot of contact and follow up to keep their patients healthy.
Here's the info

Memorial Women's Hospital
Long Beach Memorial Medical Center
2801 Atlantic Avenue
Long Beach, California 90806
USA
562-933-2000
http://www.memorialcare.com/long_beach/ ... womens.cfm
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Kristie » Oct 26, 2004 1:23 pm

Hi Ruth...My name is Kristie and I was with GNP (Doctors office for Women). My OB was Dr. Deborah Grouse. She got me Matria nurses who put me on home IV's and Reglan pump. Although things were still rough, it did get me through the 9 months. I highly recommend her! Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!
Kristie

thanks

Postby foxwoodfaerie » Oct 27, 2004 11:47 am

Thanks, Kristie, I called her office and she doesn't accept HMO's anymore. :( But thanks anyway.

Ruth
Aidan, James and Thayer
and....I'm DONE!!!!
foxwoodfaerie
Been There Done That

Postby MamaLily » Oct 29, 2004 5:51 pm

Ruth -

It might be worth asking her office for a recommendation of another great doctor!

Have you found any other possibilities? Let me know if I can help!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

thanks

Postby foxwoodfaerie » Oct 29, 2004 7:05 pm

I left a message with her office asking for a referral to another OB but no call back yet.
I asked my GP today for some referrals and she gave me some but I decided to have a heart to heart with my OB first, letting her know that I really like her and don't want to switch but I need more care and she got pretty upset about my GP telling me I could switch, saying that they have a "good relationship" and she can't believe she would tell me that. She told me she would call in some Compazine and I could try that but nothing else has worked so I'm kind of skeptical. She told me to come in on Monday and she would make a decision from there about hydration or admitting me but I think she was just trying to get me from going to another OB. We will see how it goes on monday.
Ruth
Aidan, James and Thayer
and....I'm DONE!!!!
foxwoodfaerie
Been There Done That

Postby anji » Jul 07, 2006 3:21 am

EDIT: Read the WARNINGS below! You will have to do a lot of WORK while sick getting around Dr. Grouse's office and dealing with stupid crackering from HER OWN STAFF!

I took Kristie's suggestion and switched to Dr. Grouse. She takes HG very seriously and is experienced (17 years) enough that I feel comfortable knowing she's seen pretty much everything. One doctor in this area I do not recommend is Dr. Karen Taylor. I *had* to switch because even though she knew I had HG, she never once mentioned it or addressed it. It was like the white elephant in the room. You'll know good care when you're receiving it!

EDIT:
Dr. Grouse is a good doctor for treatment of HG. However, now that I've delivered, I have to add a few important notes:

1) Her office "gatekeeper":JANET is the stupid woman who:
-told me nobody needs Zofran after 20 weeks and then refused to fax a pre-authorization to my insurance company even though I was still vomiting at 36 weeks.
-asked me: "how many times can you vomit in 12 hours? I mean, once you vomit the contents of your stomach, there's nothing left to go, right?"
-told me that sugar and carbs make HG worse.
-told me that Nystatin would work on my thrush infection that had already lasted 6 long, untreated months.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Read more about her in this post: http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Stupid Janet: :hgisland:

I complained to Dr. Grouse about this stupid woman, and how she was giving false and misleading medical information that could endanger the health of her patients, but the woman still works there. Dr. Grouse essentially told me that stupid Janet had been working there for over 20 years and now they're pretty much personal friends, so she's "not going anywhere." Absolutely ridiculous: she's dispensing false medical information and doesn't have any sort of medical training!

2) As my pregnancy progressed, I started to dislike how Dr. Grouse was rushed at all my appointments, and I had to routinely wait between 30-60 minutes to be seen at my appointments.

3) My delivery wasn't a very good experience; the room was filled with commotion and when I asked that the staff be a little quieter and calmer as baby crowned, Dr. G sort of laughed at me and told me that's how all delivery rooms are. :x

So, it was good that someone finally treated my HG, but there's a whole lot of work involved in being her patient.

P.S.: the Long Beach Hyperemesis program is now available at Hoag Hospital.
"I'm growing another family member. What's your superpower, DH?"

JJ 11/22/06
Angel Baby August 2009
anji
Opinionated HGer

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment