Reglan woes... Please help me!

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Reglan woes... Please help me!

Postby meg » Nov 09, 2004 3:58 pm

I have HUGE knots in my legs from old sub-q sites from my Reglan pump. I have no signs of infection, but I have big, swollen, bruised knots in each thigh and one of my legs is so painful I have to make an effort not to limp when I walk. I have tried warm compressess and a heating pad. This has helped elliviate symptoms in one leg, although the knot has not dissappeared completely. My right leg is still very painful.

I started out with a great home health care agency, but when my insurance figured out they could pay a mediocre (at best) outfit half the money, they switched me and I am now managed completely by phone! I don't want to complain to my doctor if this is common because the pump is truly helping and I don't think I can handle another backslide physically or emotionally.

Please help if you have any similar experiences. Thanks!
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby erin » Nov 09, 2004 4:48 pm

Meg,

Aren't they the most annoying things. As if you needed something else, other than sticking yourself in the leg. I found that if I put the heating pad on right after I changed the site, I never developed as much of a lump as if I let it go until later. So I would have the heating pad already warm, change the site, and then slap it on my leg for about 30 minutes right after I changed the site. That doesn't help your current lumps though, sorry.

I am glad that you think the pump is helping though. I also don't think it is uncommon to have a Reglan pump managed by phone, mine with Matria was as well, my nurse there was great about me calling with questions etc. She was always very helpful. I had someone coming to the house only when I had an IV at home.

I have also read on this board about taping the flaps of the needle site down first, and then using the larger waterproof tape pieces. I did notice when I moved around more, I dislodged the catheter a bit, and that made the lumps much worse. I never tried it, didn't read about it until I was off the pump.

HTH, glad you are feeling at least a bit better,

Erin
Alex 8/16/03 (borderline HG)
bean 3/18/05 (HG much worse)
erin

Postby meg » Nov 11, 2004 8:04 pm

Erin,

Thank you for the heating pad tips and also the ideas about taping. Both have helped some. I appreciate your "expertise." :)
Hugs,
Meg

HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby HGx3 » Nov 14, 2004 7:41 pm

Hey, I know i am a lil late jumpin in here, but I just wanted to say that the knots were a nightmare for me, and i DID have a site get infected!!!!!!!!!! The heating pad suggestion is great, and I also would soak in a HOT tub, with just enough water that it covered the tops of my legs, and that helped sooth tham. Mine would itch really bad.

I had to change my site every 2 days instead of every 3 b/c the longer it stayed in, the worse the knot.........just hang in there. I am glad it is helping despite the irritation!!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby Jeanne » Nov 14, 2004 9:00 pm

I had the same trouble with the Reglan pump. First we tried swt=itching the site every two days, then every day and then we had to just get rid of the pump and put it my IV - which meant stopping the TPN b/c it was not compatible with the Reglan, then starting it back up after the Reglan dripped in. All in all it was much better - just meant I was hooked up 24/7.
Jeanne
Nathan 4/99
Grace 1/01
Jeanne

Postby meg » Nov 16, 2004 3:14 pm

Thanks for the additional advice. I too have tried warm baths and they do help, but I have also resorted to changing the site every two days. I just can't stand the pain and I also have itching, sometimes days after the site is changed. Fortunately, I have not developed an infection! I appreciate all of you sharing your experiences. It's so nice not to go through these crazy days alone!

Thanks,
Hugs,
Meg

HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies