Anyone heard of droperidol?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Anyone heard of droperidol?

Postby foxwoodfaerie » Nov 03, 2004 3:31 pm

I fired my OB yesterday but, before that, she offered an inpatient IV treatment called droperidol that supposedly completely stops the vomiting for good. She said it can take 1-2 weeks inpatient to complete the treatment, which is why I turned her down, just can't spend that long in the hospital with two kids to take care of.
Just wondering if anyone's heard of this treatment, if it works, and if it really takes 1-2 weeks.
Thanks!
Ruth
Aidan, James and Thayer
and....I'm DONE!!!!
foxwoodfaerie
Been There Done That

Postby mammaclare » Nov 03, 2004 8:35 pm

Here is a link to more information:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic3/droperidol.htm

I personally haven't heard of any stories of it being used for HG, but it sounds as if it may have some potential. I would call Motherisk to see if they have any information on it.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Nov 03, 2004 9:52 pm

Here's a reference on droperidol and hyperemesis. This is the big protocol for the hyperemesis program at Long Beach Memorial - sounds like it is popular in the whole county! These people really love it, and publish great results, but it is rarely used elsewhere.
I don't know of anyone here who has used it.

http://www.nvp-volumes.org/p1_14.htm
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

oops

Postby foxwoodfaerie » Nov 04, 2004 12:15 pm

I read up on droperidol and it has and FDA "black box warning" for causing sudden death and fatal cardiac arrythmias in patients. Doesn't sound like something I want to mess with, really.

Ruth
Aidan, James and Thayer
and....I'm DONE!!!!
foxwoodfaerie
Been There Done That

Postby ladybug » Dec 13, 2004 3:47 am

I would not recommend Droperidol at all (also called Inapsine). I have never heard of it being offered in pregnancy. At one time, it was commonly used as a pre-medication for anesthesia for surgical patients, but even many hospitals now are getting away from it altogether because it can be rather dangerous. Please don't even consider it. There are many other options out there. It also has a tendency to cause extrapyramidal reactions in some patients (read my post on Compazine thread), which is not something you want to experience.
ladybug

Postby jjbeck » Jan 11, 2005 2:14 pm

I have a family member that had severe HG and her OB wanted tried this with her. They heavily sedated her, gave her the droperidol for a few days and she did did not vomit that first few days but as soon as she got home she was back to where she was. She ended up needing steroids her entire preg....of course they refused to give her Zofran as they thought it was more dangerous than the steroids and droperidol.
hmmm
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies