30 hours without Zofran and counting!!!

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

30 hours without Zofran and counting!!!

Postby HanJ » Jan 10, 2005 6:26 pm

That's right, I took my last Zofran yesterday morning, and I am still ok. On sunday I swapped my night dose for maxalon, which went okay. Then yesterday dropped the night tablets completely. So this morning, I didn't take my zofran (little 2mg that it was), and was almost okay! After some breakfast in bed, I did take one maxalon, which helped me feel much better. So, here I am - I haven't thrown up, and with the one maxalon this morning, I think I may be okay today. Needless to say I am one happy camper today!!! YAY!!!

Just thought I'd share this joyous moment with you all. I've been on Zofran for 14 weeks now, and am so glad to be off it. :D
Hannah J.
Joseph age 11: HG 5wks-birth
Ellie age 9: HG 5wks-36wks
HanJ
Been There Done That

Postby meg » Jan 10, 2005 8:09 pm

Hannah,

So far, so good! I am so happy for you. I am on Reglan (I think maybe that's Maxalon, is it?) and Zofran. I am down to one 4mg Zofran each a.m. upon waking and have just in the past few days cut it in half. I am desperate to wean, as you were, as I have taken it from week 8 and am now 24 weeks. Did you suffer from constipation on Zofran? I am so hoping to have some normality in that area if I can get off of it! I know that you said money was your major incentive for weaning so I am really happy for you it is going well. My husband is a teacher and the perk of that is his great insurance. We can only get about 30 pills at a time but I only have to pay $12 for name brand prescriptions and for a long while I only took one pill a day. Now I'm down to half a pill daily. I realize that this is peanuts compare to what most of you pay!
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby HanJ » Jan 11, 2005 1:28 am

Yeah well I spoke a little too soon. Ah well. My lunch didn't stay down, so I've taken some more maxalon. Yes the zofran gave me shocking constipation, but it seemed to ease when I got it down to 2mg morning and night.

I must say I am slightly envious of the insurance deal in the States. We have crappy health insurance which is basically no help at all. ...(yuk gagging again...) I am just trying to work out if we can borrow some money and pay someone back after the baby is born, because we get a baby bonus of $3000 to help with costs then. I don't think I can live without my zofran. this sucks. sorry, I should have waited a day then celebrated. ah well.

oh yeah - good news is I may have a job. Just casual cashier stuff, but it might help us out in the money bit for a few weeks at least. catch-22 though - need the zofran to work, need to work to get the zofran. I can't work with maxalon - it makes me mega tired.

well, thanks for listening to my ramble. hope you are getting better!
Hannah J.
Joseph age 11: HG 5wks-birth
Ellie age 9: HG 5wks-36wks
HanJ
Been There Done That

Postby meg » Jan 11, 2005 8:11 am

Hannah,

I am really sorry that things didn't go quite as well as hoped! I am doing OK on the 2mg but I'm going to make sure I'm OK for at least another two weeks before trying to eliminate it completely. It seems funny that our bodies could need such a small dose of anything... oh well, the fun of HG!

Congrats on your job! Maybe getting out of the house will help you feel better. When I am busy with my kids I am less likely to think about how I'm feeling. Good luck!
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby km976 » Feb 12, 2005 9:31 am

I am a HG survivor as well and did take Zofran.

From my understanding, with Zofran you build up an amount in your system, so it is in you. Then when you stop taking it the amount in you starts to deplete.

It may seem like your okay for a day, but then it's back to vomiting. and then it can take a day for your levels to get back up there.

At least that was my expeirence and the way my DR explained it to me.
km976

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies