Zofran...how many mg, how often?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Zofran...how many mg, how often?

Postby jdkalantzis » Jan 18, 2005 10:50 am

Hello everyone. I have a Zofran question. Right now I am taking a 4mg dissolvable tablet every 12 hours; 10 am and 10 pm. In the morning until about mid-afternoon I feel fine but from about 3 until bedtime I feel terrible again. Even taking the Zofran at 10 doesn't improve my condition - I don't feel good again until I am asleep! Should I increase my dosage? Take the pills closer together? Take them more often? My doctor seems to be a little on the conservative side about the whole Zofran thing but as of right now I am only taking 8 mgs/day.

Any advice is welcome!

Jo Ann

Baby #3, EDD 8/13/2005
jdkalantzis

Postby erin » Jan 18, 2005 3:18 pm

Jo Ann,

Read the note at the top of the 1st trimester forum, it has the max dose Zofram info, which I believe is 32 mg/day. I have taken as much as 16 mg/day (4mg 4 times a day) and know that others have taken much more than me. What you are curerntly on is definately conservative.

Erin
HG preg #2 3.18.05
erin

Postby Marie » Jan 18, 2005 4:27 pm

Hello Erin,

Are you on any medication besides the Zofran? I found that taking the Unisom/B6 combo helpful in the middle of my stretch till I take my nite Zofran. The Zofran usually curbs the vomiting for most, but not the nausea.

Best Wishes,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Zofran... con't

Postby jdkalantzis » Jan 19, 2005 10:36 am

Hello and thanks for your replies. I have read the other messages about the quantity of Zofran I can take. What I really need to know is how to space out the pills. Every 4 hours, every 8, every 12? What is the best or does it depend on how many mgs each dose is? How long does it stay in your system?

I also take the B6/unisom combo 2x a day; once after lunch and then again at nighttime. I take the Zofran in the AM and again at night. Should I add a Zofran in the early pm?

Thanks again...

Jo Ann
jdkalantzis

Postby BlueEeyore » Jan 29, 2005 7:13 pm

I take an 8mg pill every 8 hours.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies