Another remarkable steroid experience

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Another remarkable steroid experience

Postby elizgay » Dec 27, 2004 10:50 pm

Hi there,

I was hospitalized last week after continuos vomiting, a migraine, 4 pounds lost in 2 days. They were considering TPN, but decided to try steroids first. I received them by IV for 24 hours and then they switched me to oral prednisone (sp?). I will take it at full strength until Wed. (one week) and then start tapering (for two weeks). I am taking 8 pills a day total and I think they are 10 mg each (but maybe just 5 mg -- I can look if anyone is interested).

ANYWAY, I feel better than I have in months. I've had slight nausea in the AM and vomited a little bit 3 times over the past week, but it has been like I have come back to life. I enjoyed Christmas with my 2 yo and I have been eating again (and liking it). I REALLY hope that this wellness sticks, but even if it doesn't I will have had a few good weeks at the holidays. Also, I will be closer to when I got a lot better in my first pg (25 weeks). It's amazing -- I feel pregnant, instead of just like I have a disease!

I was on Zofran prior to the steroids (24 mg/day), but it was less than great. I think I was vomiting less than in my first pg, but it didn't touch my nausea and I am down 20 pounds.

I am not sure why steroids weren't offered last pg. However, I probably wouldn't have taken them as I was pretty scared of any drug.

Obviously all of us have different reactions to different drugs, but I just wanted to share how amazing my transforamtion has been since starting the steroids. Also, I found the info on this site and links to studies to be very helpful.

Wishing all of you wellness!
Elizabeth
Mom to Elias, 2
EDD 6-14-04
elizgay

Postby BlueEeyore » Jan 06, 2005 7:41 pm

Glad you're feeling better. Zofran reduced my vomiting frequency, but I still vomited and the nausea was totally untouched. Steroids have been my savior this time - and I'm still on them!
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby lapsan » Jan 07, 2005 4:00 pm

I was diagnosed with HG several weeks ago, visited the ER thrice and was admitted to the hospital for a three day stay a little more than a week ago. I've been put on a steriod (prednisone) as well and it is nearly a miracle drug. I almost feel okay. The vomiting stopped, except for a couple of times in the early morning, and most of the nausea went away too.

They told me I couldn't take it until after week 10 because of a very minor risk of cleft pallette. Has anyone else been told this? They said it was so minor that they've never heard of it happening in a person (they being Univ. of Iowa in Iowa city, Iowa).

Anyone else heard that?
lapsan

Postby BlueEeyore » Jan 07, 2005 6:27 pm

Yes, there is a risk of cleft palate when steroids are started prior to the palate being completely formed.

However, I believe prednisone crosses the placenta poorly, so the risks are probably very slight.

From what I've gathered, most of the risks associated with these steroids is to the mother, not the baby. And the risk is more when you stop the drug. You must wean off slowly.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby jjbeck » Jan 11, 2005 1:55 pm

I am glad that the steroids worked for you. They worked very well for me too. I only wish I knew about them my first HG preg.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby elizgay » Jan 11, 2005 11:13 pm

I know, I wish I'd known about them the first time around, too. I was very sick for twice as many weeks last pg. Although last time, I was much more scared of meds. Let's see, I was told I couldn't take them until after 12 weeks, but I didn't really learn why (I was past 12 then anyway). I found the articles posted on this site about the research that has been done to be really helpful. Prednisone does cross the placenta poorly and what has been described to me, too, is that teh risks are for the woman. They know about the impact (or lack thereof) on the fetus b/c pg women with asthma and lupus (among other things) have been taking this med for awhile. The risk to the pg woman is with prolonged usage. I have weaned down to 1 pill/day and tomorrow is my last day. So far, so good. I am not perfect, but I am MUCH better. Not perfect meaning: over the last week I've vomited once in the AM on most days. Honestly, on my vomit continuum, it hardly counts (just fluid, no food, and not acidic). Additionally, I get nausaus if I am hungry. I actually feel better now than I did for the last 15 weeks of my first pg, which was much better than the first 25 weeks in my first. It feels much more like normal morning sickess as described by other women -- that hungry/nauseaus feeling that gets better with food. As you all know, this state is very different than hg. I've gained 7 pounds and am enjoying food -- and life, again.

I hope the setroids continue to be helpful to those of you taking them, too! Take care.
Elizabeth
Mom to Elias, 2
EDD 6-14-04
elizgay

Postby Tracy34 » Jan 14, 2005 10:04 am

I was put on Prednisone for my first pregnancy after weeks of vomiting. I was never offerred anything else, but it was a complete God send. I had nothing but a positive experience with it. I was scared when they started to taper me off, but to my surprise, all continued to go well.

I'm glad the prednisone is working for you. This time around, the Zofran is helping, but it is nothing like the relief that the prednisone offered.
ImageImage
Tracy (38)
Tom (42)
Angel @ 10 weeks 06/15/01
Tanner (step-son) 09/24/96
Tristan 09/21/02 (HG#1 & preemie)
Tommy 07/20/05 (HG #2)
Tayden Layne 12/22/07 (HG #3 and preemie)
Tracy34
Been There Done That

I relapsed :(

Postby elizgay » Jan 17, 2005 10:28 pm

Hi there,
I was off the prednisone for 4 days and then relasped. I couldn't stop vomiting and had a migraine, so went in and was admitted overnight. Now I am going to do another round of the steroid, but I am seeking advice from Dr. Goodwin at USC (there are two of his articles posted on the medications page of thsi site -- very helpful). My midwife and the supervising doctor suggested starting to taper sooner and then staying at 5 mg until I get to 24 weeks (the time at which I felt better with my first pg). I want a second opinion b/c this will have me on the steroids for 9 weeks -- albeit at a very low dosage. What I have read says the max should be 6 weeks. If I hear back from Dr. Goodwin, I'll pass along what he offers. I feel OK right now -- not nauseaus and no headache, but I am really weak and tired. What we go through for our babies... I am trying to remember that it is all worth it. I don't think I would have done this again, though, if I knew then what I know now. We get an ultrasound tomorrow and are finding out the sex of the baby. That should be fun and I could use a little fun. I hope everyone else is doing OK!
Elizabeth
Mom to Elias, 2
EDD 6-14-04
elizgay

Postby jjbeck » Jan 18, 2005 11:53 am

Hi Elizabeth. My neice was on steroids her entire preg for HG. I was only on it for 4 weeks, but was told I could stay on it as long as I felt I needed it. Fortunatly I did not relapse, and I really liked having control over my own taper. I was given a guideline, but if at anytime during the taper I was feeling worse, I could have upped the dose.

Last year I came across a post from a woman on a med board. She was explaining how two of her three pregs she had horrible HG. One of her pregs she was on steroids the entire time because of a GI inflammitory problem ( I think that is what it was). Anyway, that is the preg she DID NOT have HG with. SHe had asked her OB if the steroids had anything to do w/ her nto having HG, he had told her no at the time. Little did he know.

Lots of woman have to take steroids throughout their pregs for other ailments and do perfectly ok with it.

Good luck and I would be very interested in hearing what Dr Goodwins input is.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

reply from Dr. Goodwin

Postby elizgay » Jan 19, 2005 12:10 am

Thanks for your response Jen (and waht a cutie in the photo!).

I heard back from Dr. Goodwin today (very fast response). He said that the 5mg does for that duration is just fine and that this dose of prednisolone is just a bit more that is produced by one's own adrenal gland every day. He wished me luck and asked me to let him know how it goes. Very nice.

SO, I am relieved. I am already feeling about 90% better, which is GREAT.

Also, has anyone else on steroids expreinced them as mood enhancer? On my first round, I jsut thought I was happy b/c I finally felt well (which was also true). However, I realized after two days off that the steroids were adding to my good mood. My father-in-law is a shrink and he said some people experience euphoric feelings on steroids. Bring on the euphoria, I said! It is such a welcome relief from the depression of being so sick from hg.

Take care all!
Elizabeth
Mom to Elias, 2
EDD 6-14-04
elizgay

Postby jjbeck » Jan 19, 2005 10:47 am

Wow, that was a fast reply from Dr Goodwin. Glad you are feeling better. And am very glad you have a pleasant euphoric effect from the steroids. I had that w/ the ambien I was on.

Good luck to you and hope you continue to feel better.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby BlueEeyore » Jan 21, 2005 7:37 pm

Steroids actually seem to be making me a little more aggressive. But, the improvement in my nausea makes my mood better, so it's a wash.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby elizgay » Jan 22, 2005 12:22 am

Huh, more agresssive. My worst side effect is insomnia. The first night back on the meds I slept 5 hours, next night 6, last night 7. After the 5 hour night, I was tired, but after the other nights I felt fine. I think the meds give me energy as well as mood elevation. I have still vomited a little in the AM, which I di dfor the first bit last time on the meds. My appetite is good -- in fact, I think I am more hungry than usual -- although, it's hard to remember usual. I'm gaining my 19 pounds lost back pretty quickly, which should feel good -- I've learned that I (and other pregnant women) don't put my body issues on hold just b/c I am pregnant -- or b/c of having hyperemesis. Does anyone else relate? I should jsut be glad to be gaining weight, but I keep wondering if it's too quick. I mean, I am usually a good eater, so losing with from hg is jsut bizarre. Gaining weight is more typical of me and just taps into all the feelings of being out of control of my body during pg. Anyway, this is off the steroid thread, but I am still curious about other's thoughts/experiences.
Elizabeth
Mom to Elias, 2
EDD 6-14-04
elizgay

Postby stephensmam » Feb 02, 2005 2:13 pm

Hi Elizabeth I was on steroids this time around from week 12 till week 26 I was taking prednisalone 40mgs daily till i was about 18 weeks then i went down to 30mg i could only ever get down to 15 mgs even then i was still couch bound and pucking 4 to 5 times a day but it was a HUGH improvemrnt on my first pg, if you can get away with 5 mg fair play to you bet if you need to take more its fine my angel is perfect dispit certain med professionals doubts long story lol

anyway all the best
lots of love and hugs Jacqueline
HG pg no 1 28/04/98 darling son Stephen ivs only,pnd
HG pg no 2 01/09/04 darling daughter Sarah ivs , zofran, steroids, meclizine, b6.http://lilypie.com/Kids_Birthday_code.p ... y_code.php#
stephensmam
Been There Done That

New to forum and just started taking Zofran

Postby aek » Feb 04, 2005 8:23 am

Hi - I'm new to all of this and can't say I'm enjoying it. I'm 12 weeks into my first pregnancy which I pray ends w/ a healthy baby because I don't know if I can do this again.
I've been hospitalized once on fluids, statred taking Unisom + B6 (didn't work), switched to Reglan (made me extremely anxious) & just stared Zofran 5 days ago. I've lost 7 lbs so far.

1st day on Zofran was like a dream. I ate 3 meals that day. Then the nausea and dry heaving came back. Last night I started throwing up again and had severe headache :cry: . I guess I'm just looking for some helpful advice & words of encouragement.
aek

Postby meg » Feb 04, 2005 8:58 am

Welcome. I am sorry that you are suffering. What dosage of Zofran are you on? I often hear women say that they quickly need to raise their initial dose. Also, if you take the Unisom/B6 in conjunction with the Zofran that seems to increase it's effectiveness. In the first tri folder their is a sticky at the top of the posts that discusses this. You also must try to stay as hydrated as possible. This helps nausea on its own, plus maximizes the effect of the Zofran.

Good luck to you.
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Thanks for your response

Postby aek » Feb 04, 2005 9:40 am

Hi Meg-

Thanks for your response. It's just nice to know that someone is out there. I am taking 8 mg of Zofran only, not in conjunction w/ the Unisom + B6. Is it possible to take a higher dose of the Zofran? What about headaches. I'm not sure if mine are related to the Zofran or not. I'm trying to stay hydrated over here - drinking a 1/2 water & 1/2 Gatorade solution. I'll ask my dr. about higher dose of Zofran when I talk to her later today.

Thanks again. Your advice is helpful & truly appreciated.
aek

Postby ischa » Feb 04, 2005 10:59 am

Hi, I am so sorry you are struggling with this in your first pregnancy. I know you may feel hopeless and think why in the world am I doing this. I have felt that way in my pregnancies and just wanted to give up.

I am very thankful for those around me who encouraged me to continue on. I can say in honesty that this will end for sure. For many it ends at around the 14 week mark, some the 20 (for me it was 20) and some not until the baby arrives. Please know no matter how long it lasts it does end and then you will have your little one.

Please come here for encouragement and go to your doctor and make them help you. Maybe you should ask your doctor about the steriod option. Be pushy if you must. I will definately try the steriod route in my next pregnancy.

I'm sorry you had to be one of us. It's no fun at at all. But please know you aren't alone, and this will end.

Jessica
ischa

another thank you

Postby aek » Feb 04, 2005 11:15 am

Ischa-

Thank you for your kind words. It really helps talking to people who truly understand. As much as I love my husband, he is incapable of this level of empathy since he hasn't physically been experiencing what we HG sufferers have gone through. I'm trying to hang in there.

I have to say, I'm in awe of all the women out there w/ HG who have had bravery and will to have multiple pregnancies. I don't know if I have that in me physically and mentally. I'm 36 now and we had to do IVF to get pregnant. That was a long road and HG is making it even longer & uphill. I'm thinking that adoption of a second child would be great. Especially, since there are so many orphans out there in Afghanistan, Iraq & the countries hit by the tsunami.

Anyway, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself at the moment. I just need to focus on getting through this and trying to keep myself & my baby as healthy as I can.
aek

zofran + unisom + b6

Postby aek » Feb 06, 2005 9:16 am

Meg-

I just wanted to thank you for your helpful advice. I spoke to my dr. & started the zofran/unisom/b6 "cocktail" and thusfar, it seems to be doing the trick. I've been feeling pretty decent for the past few days and have been able to eat and keep down some meals. I'm just hoping that this will keep working for me and I don't relapse.
aek

Next

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies