What's worked for you?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

What's worked for you?

Postby bibliojo » Jan 09, 2005 7:14 pm

Hi all,

I would like to hear what about what medications are working/have worked for you. As most of you know I'm currently planning for my second pregancy and I am contemplating trying other medications this time round but don't know what to try as I didn't experiment with a lot of different drugs the first time. I simply didn't have the energy to research other possible medications (I just took whatever the dr offered! :wink:) and I was too scared to try anything else in case it would not work as well as what I was already on (which wasn't that great but when you're in the midst of the HG you don't want to feel any sicker than you already do!) Just for some background...I tried Diclectin briefly with my son but when that didn't work I then took Maxeran (Reglan to you guys in the US), Gravol (also known as Dramamine) and Rantidine. This combination of drugs helped curb the vomitting somewhat but didn't touch the nausea. It also unfortunately left me with the side effects of anxiousness, depression and extreme sleepiness. Now, I know different things work for different people but still I'm curious as to what's been the most effective drugs for you and what possibly would be the best drugs for me to try. So any personal experiences you have to relate would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Phenergan Worked For Me

Postby adelmaal » Jan 12, 2005 6:21 pm

I would have tried Zophran this time around but could not afford $90.00+ a pop for 12 tablets. So, I started taking Phenergan at the first sign of nausea and the difference between this pregnancy and my last two has been night and day. I know some ladies have had problems with side effects from Phenergan but I have had no side effects and I have been able to work through this pregnancy so far. The other benefit I have seen with Phenergan over Zophran is that constipation is not a side effect. I guess the fact that it comes in suppository form takes care of that - lol. I hate that it's a Class C drug though because I do worry about possible birth defects. That's why I wanted to try Zophran this time. I took Phenergan with my son but didn't start until after I had already been throwing up for a few weeks. It helped but not as much as it's helping this time.
Aryn-Leah

Alexandria Caelan, DOB 3/25/95
Cole Vincent, DOB 5/27/98
Raegan Reese, EDD July 24 2005
adelmaal
Been There Done That

Zofran

Postby aussiegirl » Jan 17, 2005 5:10 am

I have just discovered the wonderful Zofran. It has worked wonders. I am now just starting to eat again after not eating for over a week. I should now be able to slow the weight loss (I've only lost 6% this time) or maybe even stop it (I hope).
During previous pregnancies I was on Phenergan, Maxalon and Stemetil, none of which worked (the phenergan knocked me out completely so I was unable to look after my first child).
I am hoping that my HG is going to follow the last few pregnancies and resolve itself by 18 weeks.

I wish you well in your upcoming pregnancy.
Kirstin
Georgia (6/20/96) HG
Ethan (6/7/99) HG
Cheyenne (9/26/00) Hg
20 weeks preg.
aussiegirl

Medication Experiences

Postby fancyida76 » Feb 08, 2005 12:48 am

I began vomiting sometimes 5 times an hour from my 4th week of pregnancy until I couldn't take it anymore. I was out of work and my family was so concerned I felt overwhelmed and hopeless. I was admitted to the hospital and made many ER visits, sometimes hours after I was released. I tried Reglan, Compazine and several others that I was sick at the time..just can't remember. My veins were collapsing due to dehydration and was so close to a P.I.C. line, but my doctor tried my on Thorazine. This was the only medication offered to me, that decreased my vomitting. Enough that I could go back home from the hospital, but I had to take it every hour on the hour or my cycle would continue. I got severly depressed for the obvious reasons, and no one that I know of has ever experienced my level of illness during pregnancy. My insurance company fought to not want to cover my disability. And I live in Northern Maine and cases like mine apparently do not happen very often. My doctor didn't offer Zofran to me, nor have I ever heard of it. My husband and I want another child so badly, but I am terrified to go through even half of what Ive been through, especially with a little toddler now to care for. I really am at a crossroad. :(
Fancyida76
fancyida76

Postby bibliojo » Feb 08, 2005 1:57 am

Thank you ladies for your replies! If anybody else has more to add, I'd be interested to hear it...

fancyida76, I understand your hesitation to go through HG again! This really is a decision you and your dh need to make together but there is lots of great information in the preparation for HG folder if you should so decide to try for another child. From the sounds of it, maybe your HG could have been treated better? Especially if you had to go back to the hospital only hours after being released. It sounds like you weren't properly stablized in the first place, and when you have HG, you need to be break the cycle of vomitting before you can get the fluids/meds to stay down to actually work. There also may be other meds that you can try that will possibly be more effective than those that you tried in your first pregnancy. A lot of women on these forums have found Zofran to be their miracle drug. And finally, a doctor knowledgable in regards to HG could be able to suggest treatment options to you to make the HG more bearable. If they treat the HG appropriately and aggressively, it could make quite a difference.

Good luck in your decision. Please let us know what you decide to do!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies