"What Goes Down Must Come Up" :book HGers - Gross

Share an uplifting story from your pregnancy or triumph over HG to help others find a way to laugh & remain hopeful. Post your children's updates, brag pics, and milestones.

Moderator: RebeccaM

"What Goes Down Must Come Up" :book HGers - Gross

Postby tlm5999 » Sep 20, 2006 9:37 am

I think we should compile a book of "what goes down must come up, tips for food that returns easily" It could give references for texture, taste, splash back, and drawback scores on the best and worst foods.

Rice : Texture - Grainy both direction; Taste - similiar both directions; Splash back - minimal; drawbacks - small enough to get stuck in nose and sinuses

Refried Beans: Texture - think and dense; Taste - sour on return; splash back- huge; drawbacks - comes back up as large masses

Jello : Texture - watery; Taste - same yet slightly more sour; splash back - minimal; drawbacks - none, plus it's colorful :)

Tums : Texture - foamy; taste - sour and chalky; splash back - none, kinda floats; drawbacks - feels really weird

Please add to the list from your experiences, the best and the worst. :D Maybe we'll get a best seller. :P
Valin 05-15-03 HG
Liam 11-19-04 HG
Anna-Marie 9-3-06 Lost an angel
Jonathan Declan 12/28/06 Lost a twin
Declan James 8-8-07 HG
Joseph 6-4-09 non-HG
tlm5999
Opinionated HGer

Postby krisalis » Sep 20, 2006 1:15 pm

Worst ever: Kentucky Fried Chicken. Tastes so bad coming back up that 10 months later I still can't even watch a KFC commercial on TV. :verygreen:

Best ever: Carnation Instant Breakfast. Tastes the same coming back up, doesn't splash or hurt. Also doesn't leave an aftertaste.

I know there are more, but I think I've blocked them.*L*

Kris
krisalis
HG Expert

Postby carybear » Sep 21, 2006 3:31 pm

okay my list is long in my head maybe I can get a couple out here.

grapenuts...hurt like hell coming back up, even if you nuke them till soft before eating them...avoid like plague. BIG splash

pasta..tastes same going down and up....can get stuck! very scary. splash depends on how much fluid is in stomach at same time.

strawberry daquri (virgin of course)....same taste both ways, cool up and down...over all best I've ever barfed up.

Pizza...totally off limits while HGing!!! I still have nightmares of puking that one up. *shudders* Pizza hut is no longer on speed dial!

peanut butter gets stuck coming back up. My SIL nearly choked to death on PB while PG. I never had a problem with it.

Never, never, never take Colase on an empty stomach!! those capsules dissolve very fast and then the colase just burns like crazy!! I have never had such a bad case of throat burn as I did with that!

I think that over all most foods will come up without much fight as long as you have enough fluids in your tummy first. I had problems with everything being like wet cement coming up. It all just got stuck.
Luvs to all,
CaryAnn
carybear
Opinionated HGer

Postby dna4n6grl » Sep 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Grapes - Texture - crispy skin and sweet going down, lumpy on the way back up; Taste - absolutely no taste upon return; splash back- minimal; drawbacks - skin tends to hold lumps together and it is very awkward to to bring back up as you have to wait for all lumps to clear throat before it will physically leave your mouth.

Jenney
dna4n6grl
Welcomed Friend

Postby mrsbigdog » Sep 21, 2006 5:57 pm

references for texture, taste, splash back, and drawback scores on the best and worst foods.

Ranch Pasta Salad with small tomatoes in it: cool going down and fairly mild, taste not too bad coming up, splash depends upon fluid content in stomach at time, bad choice because skin of tomatoes gets stuck in your throat and won't come loose! This was the absolute worse puke I had.

Spaghetti is bad because of those long noodles...no further explanation necessary.
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby justme » Sep 22, 2006 1:40 pm

Milk and milkshakes are horrible - sour - coming back up.

Salad also tasted bad coming back up

Hamburgers - always come back up chunky and painful

Bread products - also chunk and painful

Mexican should be avoided at all costs.

Bile, however, is the absolute worst - not that I ate it, but a lot sure came up in both my pregnancies.

On a side note: when I was pg with Riley and we didn't know about HG, dh and I kept joking that we were going to create a website to help others out and index the "vomitability" of various foods.

Karen
justme
Forum Moderator

Postby tlm5999 » Sep 22, 2006 2:02 pm

Here's some more:

Popcorn - Texture - Scratchy and sharp; taste - not much at all; splash back - bad; Drawbacks - can get stuck on the way back up and won't move either way (this was of course if you can get any down in the first place :sickfast: )

SlimFast - Texture - fluid; taste similar but more sour; splash back depends on force ranges from little to bad; drawbacks - leaves a metalic and sour aftertaste

Ice tea - Texture - cold both ways; taste same both ways; splash back - ranges from little to bad; drawbacks - none, and the cold helps to relieve the burn.
Valin 05-15-03 HG
Liam 11-19-04 HG
Anna-Marie 9-3-06 Lost an angel
Jonathan Declan 12/28/06 Lost a twin
Declan James 8-8-07 HG
Joseph 6-4-09 non-HG
tlm5999
Opinionated HGer

Postby Natalie » Sep 22, 2006 5:55 pm

Pineapple: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER have this when you have HG.

If you can get it down, good. Coming back up: can't tast due to the SERIOUS acid burns in throat and mouth. Texture: very stringy so makes you gag more plus almost choked to death. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

You have been warned!

Love Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby jesspinky1 » Sep 22, 2006 11:56 pm

Worst: Pineapple~seriously thought I was gonna die when it got stuck coming back up
Pickles~ they got stuck, had horrible splash back, tasted horrible, just plain bad!
Popcorn~ worst splashback I ever had! Got in my eyes and burned like heck!
Oatmeal~ very dense and hard to get up
Red kool-aid~ stained my toilet pink!
Any milk product at all~ sours in stomach and tastes horrible coming up, also, those curdle chunks get stuck in throat

Best: Flat coke wasn't so bad coming back up
No food at all that I can think of
Hailey 7-23-98 HG baby
Isaiah and Malachi 3-25-03 NVP
Dominic 2-27-01 adopted
William 11-14-06 HG baby
Aaliyah 10-3-08 HG baby
jesspinky1
HG Diva

Postby carla » Sep 23, 2006 12:55 am

this is soo funny,

I seriously had a good laugh, as I could relate to many of these stories
carla
HG Diva

Postby -samanthakay- » Sep 23, 2006 12:16 pm

Grape juice is ok tastes the same but warm coming up.

Apple juice hurt and made me gag as I was puking. I could not get any air and was worried I was going to pass out.

chicken soup was nice and soft coming back up.
Angelina DoraMae Sev HG 3-38 weeks
Born 3-3-07
I also have two great bonus babies(adopted stepsons) Devon 18 and Tristin 15
I am very active on facebook
-samanthakay-
Devoted to You

Postby Susannah » Sep 23, 2006 9:19 pm

Peppermint stick ice cream: Nice color- stays pink, but leaves a very thick film in your mouth- worst vomit I had with a "liquid"

Egg: doesn't taste too bad. Did get stuck in my nose once ::shutters::

Rice- the nose problem again

7up- tasted about the same coming back

crackers :verygreen:
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby woodgirl » Sep 23, 2006 10:51 pm

Lettuce: Texture- kind of reminds you of seaweed on the way up; taste- great if you are craving it, like warm rotten death on the way up, especially if it's been digesting for awhile; splash- depends on the rest of your stomach content...still makes me shutter.

Bread- usually tastes fine on the way down, but globs up and chokes you on the way up, and it splashes back at you like a fish.

Ice cream is fabulous on the way down and back up if you don't wait very long to throw up.

Avoid grapefruit and any other acidic fruit or veggie. I wouldn't recommend Emetrol either. It'd be nice to not have to eat anything...
woodgirl

Postby carla » Sep 24, 2006 12:47 am

I think my worst vomit was with cheese. It also came out of my nose! Very much like acid.

I think one of my better vomits was with watermelon.

ugggg the memories!
carla
HG Diva

Postby PamelaRose » Sep 24, 2006 1:37 am

Raspberry shake - not down more than a couple minutes, so no time for taste to change, but the seeds sting when shooting out the nose, and the pink splatters actually stained the white toilet seat. THAT was nasty!

Orange Hi-C and berry JuicyJuice come back up nicely. One of my favorites during my last HG was a creamy scalloped potato dish. The potatoes were diced and well-cooked so not too chunky coming back up, and the white sauce was rather soothing on the throat.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Ben's Mom » Oct 10, 2006 11:53 pm

Bad -- any kind of meat (turkey, chicken, etc.). Dense, so got stuck in throat on way back up. Nasty splash back. Had GD, so I had to eat lots of protien.

Good -- Scrambled eggs were best. Soft on way down and back up. If they were nice and fluffy, they had little splash back.

Ironically, crackers were terrible. Scratchy when they came back up.

Any fruits and veggies -- carrots, oranges, etc. Problems range from acid (organge, pinapple, etc.) to discomfort during vomiting. Most veggies scratched my throat coming back up.

Oh, have to go... baby's crying. Will write more. This is too funny!! I've been waiting my entire pregnancy to talk about this! No one but you HG-ers understand!!!

Ben's Mom
Been There Done That

Postby Mikey&Bree'sMama(src) » Nov 02, 2006 8:11 pm

OMG, I can't believe I missed this post before! I have to add a couple:

Boost: not to bad going down, creamy and tastes good. sour coming back up, burns, takes **forever** to get it all up. splashback ranges from minimal to bad

Apples: ok going down, crunchy and sweet. coming back up they are like warm, sour applesauce, choked on peels, was totally afraid I was going to die because I couldn't breathe! minimal splashback, but doesn't look pleasant. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Milky Way bars: (ate too much Halloween candy the other night :( ) sweet going down, but the caramel chunks up on return, tastes sour. medium splashback

I know you're not supposed to take Advil during pg, but just as a warning to anyone who might concider it: DO NOT USE THE LIQUIGELS. I use these when not pg during migraine headaches. They ***burn*** coming back up, taste awful, and the taste doesn't wash out of your mouth.
Renee
Mikey&Bree'sMama(src)
Opinionated HGer

Postby IslandDreamer » Nov 02, 2006 8:25 pm

WORST
-grapefruit...no explanation needed there, but oh the burn.
-second worst...long pasta noodles...maybe tied for first now that I think about it.

BEST
-chocolate...same on the way up as on the way down, well, pretty much. Someone here once posted the tip of eating a bit of chocolate at the end of a meal to eliminate bad tastes if she puked. It worked, I tried it but love chocolate to much to do it a lot.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Kezza » Nov 10, 2006 9:57 pm

Last night my DH baked some Beets (known as beetroot in AUstralia) and I promptly threw it up an hour later. At my 12th week of a second HG pregnancy I can honestly say that throwing up BEETS is one of the worst things ever - YUCKO!!
Keren - mother of Caitlyn born 31 Mar 05
HG in first pregnancy and
current sufferor with second pregnancy
Kezza

Postby Cheri » Nov 10, 2006 10:17 pm

I can't believe I'm even trying to read this. :sickfast: I certainly can't remember everything...and it amazes me how every puke can be such a new and horrible experience! (around a 1000 pukes later :?)

Anyway, these stick out in my mind as among the worst memories:

-Oranges, OJ, anything citrus.
-Powdered Ginger Root
-Senekot (ugghhh, ugghhhhh, ugghhhh, this one's still fresh in my mind :verygreen: )
Cheri
Baby Lost at 15 weeks 3/02
Cheri
Opinionated HGer

Next

Return to Stories of Hope & Humor