Phromethazine & others

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Phromethazine & others

Postby skeefer » Jun 14, 2004 2:56 pm

My mother helped me find this Web site through an article she read, and it is very comforting to find myself not alone in frustration. You are great people to help each other. I hope this post is not too long.

I'm in the middle of my tenth week. Hoping to prevent bad morning sickness from becoming HG? Today is first time in a while that I can type for more than a couple of minutes. Biggest problem has been moderate to severe nausea most of day, next worse vomiting, dizziness, headache, tiredness, periods of despair. But most of the time, I can keep small amts of of food and liquid down. During memorial day wkend after hrs of nausea and vomiting, I went to emergency room. I was given IV fluids and Reglan. I had a reaction of panick and chills to Reglan. It took me a while to get someone's attention to come over and help, which was scary. I was given Ativan to counteract the reaction. Each time I asked what they were giving me and whether it would hurt the fetus and was told it would not. I was later upset to find that Ativan is a category D. Back at home, took several phone calls to OB/GYN's somewhat-dense though well-meaning nurse to explain to Dr. that they had given me Ativan not for the nausea but to counteract a reaction to Reglan. When finally got to speak to Dr. several days later at appt., he said he was surprised they'd given me Ativan, because it's not usually given during pregnancy, though a one-time dose shouldn't cause undue worry. Usually I try to participate more in my own health care, but being so nauseaus makes you vulnerable. I was given a prescription to Zofran. First time I took it, it didn't help too much. (Maybe after an hour or two?) When the Dr. found that the ins. only gave me 9 at a time he prescribed generic Phenergan to help make the Zofran last longer. The second time I ever took Zofran, it helped more but made me a bit wheezy feeling. Several nights ago (my symptoms are usually worse at night), I took a Phenergan and threw it up. The pharmacist I called suggested asking Dr. for Phen. suppository. I used it that night and a couple of nights later. Do you think it's bad to keep using the Phenergan as needed, even though it pretty much knocks me out and then I sleep several hours later into the next day? Since I've had to take time off from work, I welcome sleep as an escape from feeling sick, but I understand Phen. is a class C. If Zofran is so much safer, and I don't end up becoming reactive to it, I would try harder to get more of it. Thanks for feedback on this or anything else mentioned in this letter.
Sandra
skeefer

Postby mammaclare » Jun 14, 2004 8:28 pm

Welcome and congratulations on your pregnancy.

First off, make sure to visit the 1st Tri folder to find others in your shoes. Also there are some recommendations for Unisom/B6 that may really help the nausea. At 10 weeks you are in the height of the illness for many.

As far as I am aware there is nothing at all showing Phenergan to be any less safe than Zofran. The biggest difference for most women is that it won't really help enough.

If you are having trouble getting Zofran work with your doc and pharmacist to try and get authorization for a higher quantity. Also, Zofran works best if taken frequently (every 4 hours for the 4mg, 6-8 hours for the 8mg) and consistently, not to simply reduce symptoms. And, it will also work better when you are hydrated. You can take up to 32 mgs a day.

Good luck getting what you need and ask anything you want here. Many, if not most, were on several meds for long peroids and have healthy babies.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Phromethazine & others

Postby skeefer » Jun 15, 2004 10:21 am

Thank you, Clare, I am in awe of your strength in getting through the HG. I will look into the subjects you suggest.
Sandra
skeefer

Postby jlgrafix » Jun 15, 2004 12:01 pm

Hi skeefer,

I'm going through the same thing with my insurance company and the Zofran. They will only give me 9 pills at a time. In my case I am working to get this lifted. I have to have the doc write a letter to the insurance company stating that I take this everyday and not just after chemo (which is what it was invented for).

I would suggest calling the insurance company and find out how to get it lifted. If you don't get an answer the first time, keep calling until you find someone who knows how. I had to call twice before I found someone who knew.

Jen
----------------
Jen
DS 9-01 (HG from weeks 6-32)
Due with DD Jan 12, 05 (HG started at 6 weeks and still going)
jlgrafix

Postby skeefer » Jun 19, 2004 12:42 pm

Thanks, Jen. I will try that.
Sandra
skeefer

Joy of Meds

Postby mokibeth » Jul 03, 2004 12:42 am

Skeefer-
I guess I'm lucky in a way because my insurance went from not paying for Zofran at all ($278 for 5 pills) to giving me 42 pills for $240. I thought that paying that much might keep me from throwing them up but not so much. Tell you what though, I treat those suckers like gold. I told my doctor I won't be gettin' preggers again until there is a generic Zofran. I've heard a lot about the B6/Unisom combo but my insurance doesn't cover it because it is a compound. I'm sorry the hospital gave you an unsafe drug and that you had such a nasty experience, what I'm hoping, and you can hope too, is that with all this C-R-A-P at the beginning (and middle for me) that when it comes time to get that baby out I'll just sneeze and it will come right out. (I know I know, it won't happen but let a pregnant lady dream.) I pray for all of y'all...
May today go by without a puke-
Casey
mokibeth

Postby RebeccaM » Jul 05, 2004 11:28 am

Casey,

You can buy the B6 and Unisom separatly over the counter. I don't believe it's too expensive. I used Pyridox, which was the B6/Unisom compound (sustained release or timed releas? something like that. I can't remember), and my insurance wouldn't pay for it either. Next time, I will just get them OTC. It's cheaper. Maybe that's something you can consider.

Hopefully today went by for you with no puking :)
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies